Officials consider adding to orientation CD-ROM

Auxiliary Services will distribute a new and improved version of its CD-ROM for incoming freshmen next year.

An upgrade to the CD that was sent home this past summer to the Class of 2002, the new edition could also include information about a number of other areas of the University, including Student Development, athletics, the Duke University Police Department, the Provost's Office and the Office of Information Technology.

Last year, said Peter Mather, assistant dean of Student Development, Auxiliary Services conceived the CD-ROM to tell students about its services and how to use them. After it was distributed, he said, other departments expressed interest in joining in for next year.

But even when only Auxiliary Services took part in the CD-ROM project, each disc cost around $10 to produce, said Yoalder Meyer, communications director for Auxiliary Services. With many more departments involved, costs would be much higher.

The question of whether departments that cannot afford to pay for the CD should be included so as not to sacrifice the interests of the students has not yet been resolved.

Organizers are also considering including "an on-line interactivity feature enabling a user to go directly on-line from the CD to any department web site for more updated information as the school year draws closer," Meyer said.

But before any new features or departments are added to the disc, those involved will have to decide the purpose of the CD and how it will be funded.

For this, said Mather, a meeting of high level administrators was called by Tallman Trask, executive vice president, and Joe Pietrantoni, director of Auxiliary Services.

"The sentiment of the majority," Mather said, was that the CD should be a resource to be used "during the summer prior to matriculation."

A survey was then distributed to students by Mather and Anne Light, assistant to the associate vice president of Auxiliary Services, to get their input. The students requested that the CD include more pre-orientation information on topics such as OIT services like voice mail and network computing, campus maps and information about orientation programs.

With the help of Student Development, Auxiliary Services is considering additional high-tech projects, including an orientation web site. "This could one day all be consolidated onto this one CD if we are clever about it," Meyer said.

Last year, added Meyer, the CD-ROM was produced in a very short period of time, leaving little opportunity to gather information from other groups and services. Such features as driving directions, interactive maps and details about housing were also left off for lack of time.

Trinity freshman Carolyn Haslett said she was impressed by the disc, adding that it is a good way to be environmentally conscious by reducing the amount of paper distributed to the students.

Share and discuss “Officials consider adding to orientation CD-ROM” on social media.