Wrestling combats depleted roster with sparkling freshmen

The preseason is usually a time for unbridled optimism, enthusiasm and anticipation. Occasionally the hype leads to disappointment and crest-fallen coaches when the optimism turns into reality.

Wrestling coach Clar Anderson wishes he had that problem.

Much of the talk surrounding the wrestling team so far concerns who's missing from the team rather than who's on it-with good reason.

Five-year stalwart and three-time NCAA qualifier Chris Heckel headlines a list of five departed seniors. Returning starter Cameron Stock decided to take the year off to concentrate on his academics. Last season's first-year sensation Deuce Harris will miss the first semester due to financial aid difficulties, and he will not be the only one to miss the fall season.

Senior Matt Mapes, defending ACC Champion at the 167-pound division, will join the team in the spring after spending his fall backing up Sims Lenhardt as the kicker on the football team. Just last week, Bill Morris, a full-time starter as a freshman last year, fractured his wrist at the West Virginia Open and will be out until the spring.

"Honestly, we have this big vacuum of Mapes, Harris and Morris out of the line-up and not in the room," Anderson said. "[But] I see a whole bunch of talented individuals competing, and I'm pleased with everyone's efforts."

"It's very difficult with [the top wrestlers] not being able to wrestle for the first part of the season. We're definitely very young and not half as strong as we could be. I scheduled open tournaments this year just because of that. These open tournaments give these young kids a taste of college wrestling at the Division I level, it doesn't hurt us too much and it's a great opportunity for them."

Indeed, despite having only two out of 10 starters back from last season's ACC line-up, Anderson sees promise in his young group, which boasts three freshman who have state championships in their resume.

Two-time Oklahoma champion Tommy Hoang (125-lb) got his collegiate career off to a rousing start by winning the individual title at the VMI Freshman Tournament last week.

"He wrestled the No. 1 recruit from VMI-full scholarship kid, most outstanding wrestler from New Jersey-and beat him," Anderson said. "His coach came over to me and said, 'That wasn't supposed to happen, where did you get this kid?' He went on to pin Virginia's top two recruits in that weight class. I'm very pleased with him."

Despite his impressive start, Hoang will still battle another talented freshman, Cam Lawler, for the starting spot at 125-lb. Georgia native Harry Clarke matched Hoang's title at the freshman tournament with one of his own at 133-lb, recording two pins in his three wins.

In addition, freshmen Jason Gorski, Eddie Serrill, Nevada champion Tom Cass, J.J. Koch, Andrew Castelli and Deagan Smith are still contending for starting spots.

Lost amidst this bumper crop of freshmen may be the two returning starters who will be counted on for much of the leadership early on-junior heavyweight Alex Hunt and sophomore 133-pounder Sean Meakim.

"Coming in this year, I didn't expect to [be a leader]," said Meakim, who battled mono and tonsilitis while wrestling last year. "One of the assistant coaches just told me I've been given that role after [last] weekend. It's something I'd like to do."

Despite Meakim's not-too-stellar 7-21 record last season, Anderson believes he could blossom as one of the surprises on the team this season. Meakim may have already proved his coach right with a strong fifth-place showing in the West Virginia Tournament last week.

"He struggled last year, but he got much better towards the end of the year," Anderson said. "Guys that were beating him pretty soundly, he came back and kept it much closer. This year, hopefully he can turn the corner and win some matches. If these preseason tournaments are any indicator, he can do that."

With many of the team's key ingredients missing early, Anderson will need many more of his wrestlers to turn the corner if the Blue Devils hope to improve upon their surprising fourth-place ACC finish last season-something of which Anderson believes his team is fully capable.

"With the recruits that I have, I hope to contend this year," Anderson said. "Our mission this year would be to upset the thoroughbreds that the other schools have recruited or have in their line-up. I would like to do as good as we did last year, or better. With these young men, if they step up, we can possibly do it."

Share and discuss “Wrestling combats depleted roster with sparkling freshmen” on social media.