Filmaker Michael Moore blast political parties

Last night, The Big One hit the Griffith Film Theater at 7:30 p.m.

And whether the Big One refers to the title of Michael Moore's new movie, the United States as described in the movie or Moore himself, the speech certainly made a statement to the audience.

Framed in the sarcastic humor Moore has perfected in movies, television and stand-up comedy, the speech discussed the Clinton impeachment hearings, political parties and capitalism, with some heated exchanges with the audience mixed in. Moore is best known for producing and starring in Roger & Me, a film that chronicles his attempts to speak to Roger Smith, chairman and CEO of General Motors, about Smith's decision to close a GM factory in Moore's hometown of Flint, Mich.

Moore came to Duke in part to preview his new movie, The Big One, which tracks his life since Roger & Me. Moore was supposed to speak for half and hour before the showing of the film, but because his flight was delayed, the audience watched the movie first.

If the standing ovation that the audience gave Moore before he had said a single word was any indication, the film was a success. Moore's decision to show the film at Duke was not an arbitrary one.

"It was an honor to show [this film] at Duke University because of the people who have worked hard on the sweatshop issue," Moore said. "These students have served as an inspiration."

In fact, Moore called The Chronicle shortly after midnight to voice his support for a living wage definition in the University Code of Conduct on sweatshops. "I want to encourage the University to set a living wage because it sets a good example. Duke has sort of led the way on sweatshops and they should continue to do so."

Moore made his views on sweatshops clear in The Big One, when he attempted to convince Phil Knight, CEO of Nike, to come to Indonesia with him and witness sweatshops. Knight declined the offer.

In addition to sweatshops, Moore came to deliver another message to the crowded theater: Vote. More specifically, vote Democratic as a protest against the Republican Congress because "at a time when 40 million people don't have health care, we are talking about a cigar."

Moore recognized that a lot of Democrats may be undesirable, but insisted they should all be voted for as a protest. "I don't care who's on the ballot," he said. "I don't care if it's that little Chihuahua from Taco Bell. You vote for the Chihuahua."

He tried to console Republicans in the audience by saying, " [Democrats] ain't that much different from Republicans." "[A Democrat is] just a kinder, gentler version of a Republican. [Even if you elect Democrats,] you're still going to be able to graduate from Duke and become a corporate chieftain and screw up the world like you planned to."

That was the crux of Moore's speech. He faulted both political parties for representing only the interests of the rich and called for a new party to represent the working class.

In the meantime, Moore said the Republicans should realize that they are undermining democracy by holding impeachment hearings without the support of the American people.

In particular, Moore criticized Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr-not only for investigating the Clinton affair so aggressively but also for representing General Motors and Dow Corning. "If you look at the evil which has taken place in the last decade, Ken Starr has been the devil's attorney, which he learned to do quite well at Duke University," Moore said, referring to Starr's status as a law school alumni.

Moore also shared his thoughts about President Bill Clinton. "Frankly I can't stand the guy. He's done a lot of things to hurt working and poor people," Moore said. "[But] you've got to say this-the guy never stopped working. He was there in the Oval Office."

Moore didn't stop his political critique with Clinton, also referring to Senator Lauch Faircloth exclusively as "Senator Loincloth."

When Moore moved on to take questions, he said the audience should feel free to criticize him. Beginning with the first question, the audience obliged. A man with a Faircloth bumper sticker and "Clinton Resign" flyer attached to the back of his jacket asked Moore about his own earnings and then insinuated that Clinton and Vice President Al Gore were gay lovers.

After a shout from the audience told the man, "Your momma should have taught you shame," Moore responded to the man's second statement sarcastically. He then explained that he gives about half of his earnings to charity, which prompted another question from the audience: "What's the difference between what you are saying and communism?" one student asked.

In response, Moore spoke of compassion, personal responsibility and the socialistic nature of Christianity.

"You should think with your brain," shouted a freshman from the back of the theater. "Stop feeling with your heart."

To which Moore answered, "I wish I lived in a world where there were less people like you.... You can only build so many gated communities to protect yourself."

Although he has only heard such vocal criticism on one other college campus, Moore said in an interview with The Chronicle, he values the dissenting opinions. "I really appreciate the people with opposing views who came up and said what they thought," Moore said. "It's a good sign that there's that kind of openness on campus."

To finish the speech, Moore once again drove home the message of voting. "Simply being a citizen means you're a participant," he said. "If we're in a nation of spectators, we're not in a democracy. Your vote does count, and if you have to hold your nose and do it, do it."

Share and discuss “Filmaker Michael Moore blast political parties” on social media.