Field hockey takes on Demon Deacons, unique field tonight

After nearly upsetting second-ranked North Carolina last Wednesday, the field hockey team returns to action tonight against Wake Forest in Winston-Salem at 7 p.m.

"I think [tonight's game] is going to be a major, unbelievable battle," coach Liz Tchou said. "The first time we played them it was really tight. They are very aggressive and are used to their own field. We need to go in and be really ultra-aggressive against them."

In its last contest, No. 13 Duke played UNC to a stalemate for 55 minutes before the Tar Heels netted a goal with 15 minutes to play for the 3-2 victory. The Blue Devils have used their six days off to rest and to prepare for the Demon Deacons, a team they defeated in overtime 2-1 in Durham last month.

"We took two days off from practice and didn't have a game this weekend," Tchou said. "At this point in the season, I think our kids needed a mental rest from field hockey."

The key for Duke is to control the ball offensively and limit Wake Forest's penalty corners and shots on goal. In their last game, the Blue Devils were dominated on corners, allowing UNC 13, while only gaining five of their own.

In Duke's last victory, a 4-0 shutout of Richmond, it outshot the Spiders 22-5 and won the penalty corner battle, 11-4. The same can be said of the last time the Blue Devils faced the Deacons, as they outshot their foe 16-9 and gained 11 corners, while giving up only five.

"Corners are a huge factor," Tchou said. "Wake Forest's corners are very dangerous.... You give up too many corners against them and they will find the net."

Defensively, Duke has been solid this season, led by goalkeeper Jenn Robb, who has only allowed 10 goals in her last eight games.

The offense has been led all season by junior Corey Ceccolini. She scored two goals in Duke's last contest to give her a total of nine for the season. Melissa Yuppa and Robin Merritt have also contributed lately, giving the Blue Devil offensive attack better balance.

Possibly the most important factor for this game, though, will be that it takes place at Wake Forest. The Deacons play on a unique surface called santer, which is a sandy field that slows the ball and decreases its bounce.

"To be successful on the santer, our skills really need to be on," Tchou said. "We really need to move the ball laterally against them."

This is certainly an advantage for Wake Forest, which has played only home games since its last contest against Duke over a month ago. The Blue Devils' veterans, though, have played on santer before.

As of late, Duke has dominated the series with the Deacons. The Blue Devils have won four straight over Wake, including a 2-1 victory last season on the road.

"We're playing really well right now," Tchou said. "But we're going to be away [tonight] and away this weekend, so it should be a real test for us."

Share and discuss “Field hockey takes on Demon Deacons, unique field tonight” on social media.