Bryan Center allows outside catering at events

Interested in meeting space-users' requests for more diverse food options, the University decided to permit outside caterers to serve Bryan Center events at the beginning of the academic year. Han's Fine Chinese Cuisine, Alpine Bagels and 17 off-campus options now join University Catering in offering food to both student and non-student groups.

"The users of the Bryan Center wanted more variety, so we decided to invite outside caterers," said Jim Slaughter, manager of special events services in the Bryan Center. Slaughter added that the policy change-previously, only University Catering could serve Bryan Center events-creates "no financial benefit or loss to the University."

Caterers pay the University either a per-head or percentage charge depending on the exact situation, said Chuck Catotti, general manager for special events and conference services for Auxiliary Services.

Groups hosting events in the Bryan Center said they hope the changes will reduce costs while improving availability and food variety.

Uma Amuluru, Trinity senior and president of the Pi Beta Phi sorority, said cost was an important factor in her organization's decision to use outside company Southern Caterers at a recent event.

Ted Wheeler of Southern Caterers said there is "no question" that his company provides a bargain compared to University Catering. His company charges about $5 for a ham sandwich lunch with two side dishes and a drink while Classic Food Services offers the same meal for $7.25. University Catering's price is $10.05.

But Keith Morrison, executive chef for Dining Services, said University Catering is cheaper than outside firms in many cases. He added that despite the change, University Catering is maintaining the same amount of business and is, in fact, "turning away business because we don't have the staff."

Outside firms interested in serving Bryan Center events must register with Auxiliary Services. Firms must have an "A" health grade and worker's compensation, product, car and general liability insurance. Well-known caterers that do not appear on the list most likely "simply haven't gotten their paperwork in," Catotti said.

In another instance of a group using outside catering, Classic is handling today's Career Fair, noted Larry Maskel, interim director of the Career Development Center. Maskel said he chose Classic because it offered "the best selection of food for the best price." A long-time customer of University Catering, he was "not dissatisfied" with the school's service but preferred Classic's variety.

The policy change was actually approved by the Union Board last year but did not go into effect until this time because of the approval process for outside caterers, Catotti said.

Share and discuss “Bryan Center allows outside catering at events” on social media.