Tampa's Sanders commits to Duke

That frontcourt keeps on getting deeper.

The men's basketball team landed its third player for the Class of 2003 this past weekend when Casey Sanders, a Tampa native rated as one of the top-10 high school seniors in the country, gave Duke a verbal commitment after visiting the University.

Sanders is a 6-foot-11 power forward/center and currently a senior at Tampa Prep High School. He visited Duke over the weekend with no intentions of committing so quickly, but everything fell into place.

"I really fit in with the guys and just felt comfortable being there," Sanders said yesterday from Tampa. "The thing that really caught my attention was Sunday at breakfast, Coach [Mike Krzyzewski] told me, 'Casey, you should come to Duke.'

"He knew I was interested and he had said it before kind of laughing, but this time he was serious. When a guy offers you a scholarship to Duke, 'no' isn't the first thing that comes to your mind."

What came to Sanders' mind was the decision that Krzyzewski and the Blue Devils were looking for.

"That's pretty huge," said Hoop Scoop's Clark Francis, who ranks Sanders as the ninth-best senior in the nation. "I think, at 6-11, he's one of the best athletes in the country in terms of running the court.

"He's got to develop some skills and he has to refine his skills, but he's just a force around the basket."

Indeed, while most analysts point to Sanders' tremendous talent, he still has much room for growth. Over the summer, Sanders was listed at just 210 pounds.

"He's physically still a little bit immature," recruiting analyst Brick Oettinger said. "He has some quick inside moves; his turnaround jumper is nice and is really his primary weapon right now.

"Once he fills out his frame and gets strength, he's going to be terrific. He might be the best prospect at center. Sanders is just a terrific catch."

Oettinger lists Sanders as the seventh-best senior in the country and the top center, at least based on future potential.

In addition to his ability on offense, Sanders possesses immense defensive talent. He blocked 19 shots in one game last winter and his athleticism is noticeable on both ends of the court.

"The two things I'm best known for are running the court and blocking shots," Sanders said. "Coach said I could fit in right away, and I'm really looking forward to it."

At about the same time Sanders made his decision, Iowa Falls native Nick Collison did the same. Collison, a 6-9 forward who visited Duke a few weeks ago, decided on Kansas. He had been choosing between the two schools, but in the end the Jayhawks won out.

Sanders, on the other hand, had many schools competing for his services. Francis said that Florida, Florida State, Miami, Kentucky, Kansas, Syracuse and South Florida were among those vying for him. Because Sanders hadn't narrowed his list, the decision came as a surprise to some.

"He said over the summer that he wasn't going to commit that early," said Sam Petrides, the head men's basketball coach at archrival Berkeley Prep in Tampa. "But I'm real happy for him. He's going to be a great addition, and he'll definitely do great up there. I couldn't be happier for the young man."

Sanders' current coach, Joe Fenlon, said he knew Sanders was going to decide in the early signing period, he just didn't expect the decision this early. Sanders felt the same-until his visit to Durham.

"I camp up there with the intention of not making a decision," he said. "I was going to come home and talk to my parents and coaches. But when it feels that right, you've got to go with it."

Sanders joins point guard Jason Williams and post player Nick Horvath as the third Duke commitment for the Class of 2003.

Mike Dunleavy, a 6-7 forward and potential Duke target, is expected to visit the University the weekend of the Blue-White scrimmage. Oettinger said Dunleavy's decision is 'down to Duke and Carolina' and that the Oregon native will also visit Chapel Hill in late October.

Share and discuss “Tampa's Sanders commits to Duke” on social media.