Duke tries to beat Carolina for first time in 39 games

To say that the North Carolina field hockey program has been excellent in recent years is a gross understatement. To say that Duke has struggled against its enemy from Chapel Hill may be even more of an understatement.

The 13th-ranked Blue Devils (4-2, 1-0 in the ACC) will have the opportunity this weekend to accomplish what their predecessors have not done in 17 years and 39 attempts-beat the Tar Heels. Duke will get its chance in Chapel Hill Saturday afternoon before returning home Sunday to take on Richmond at the East Campus Turf Field, with both games scheduled to start at 1 p.m.

UNC's list of achievements is certainly not a short one. The Tar Heels have won three straight national championships and compiled a lopsided 48-6 overall record against the Blue Devils.

This year's Tar Heels are supposedly in rebuilding mode, having lost two-time Player of the Year Cindy Werley and starting goalkeeper Jana Withrow. But this team has given new meaning to the word "rebuilding" by opening the season 5-1 and earning a No. 2 ranking.

"They have a group coming back that is maybe not as experienced as last year, but they are still strong and at the top of their sport," Duke coach Liz Tchou said. "I think we're just going to focus on ourselves and try to build on what we did against James Madison."

After starting the season 1-2, the Blue Devils have won their last three games heading into this weekend. Jenn Robb has been impressive in goal lately, allowing only five goals in her last five games.

The junior has recorded 21 saves in her last three games with a career-high 10 against Iowa. The Duke defense, however, will have to keep up its quality play to slow down a talented Tar Heel offense led by Kristin McCann.

"I think our defense has definitely improved from last year," Tchou said. "The key is to not give up [penalty] corners against UNC. Their corners are very dangerous, and in the past, we have given them way too many opportunities."

Duke's offense may need to step up its level of play to contend with the staunch Tar Heel defense. The Blue Devils have managed only eight goals in their first six games.

UNC's defense proved itself to be solid, if not spectacular, with a 3-0 shutout of No. 1 Virginia last Sunday. This was keeper Nicole Frey's third shutout of the year, and she has allowed just five goals in six games.

Offense could be the key factor for Duke, who is led by junior Corey Ceccolini. Ceccolini has scored six of the Blue Devils' eight goals this season.

"We're just trying to get more numbers and better balance in the circle," Tchou said. "That is what we have been working with all week."

The Blue Devils face another difficult opponent Sunday when they host Richmond, a team they defeated 4-1 last season. While the Spiders may not be in field hockey's top tier, this is surely a chance for them to catch Duke by surprise after its battle against UNC.

"Richmond is certainly a very spirited group," Tchou said. "Their goaltending has been strong.... I think this is the best Richmond team they have fielded in the last few years."

Tchou says she does not expect her team to overlook the Spiders because her team values each game and counts no game as an easy win.

But while all wins may count the same, some wins are definitely more meaningful than others. If everything falls into place Saturday, Duke could certainly notch its most meaningful win so far this season and, perhaps, its most meaningful win in the last 17 years.

Share and discuss “Duke tries to beat Carolina for first time in 39 games” on social media.