Women's golf hopes to avoid repeating history

It's déja vu all over again for the women's golf team this spring as it heads into the NCAA East Regionals as the hottest team in the area. Like last season, the Blue Devils won April's Atlantic Coast Conference Championship with a strong team performance and are looking forward to a stellar outing in regional competition. But the Blue Devils aren't hoping to relive last season in its entirety.

Last May's East Regionals brought forth a lackluster performance for the team, as they finished 17 out of a field of 19. The Blue Devils did some soul-searching after last year's dismal performance, according to coach Dan Brooks, and have resolved to take their strong regular season performances along with them into the East Regionals.

Like last season, this year's Blue Devils are riding a hot streak into the regional competition. Junior Jenny Chuasiriporn was awarded ACC Player of the Year for the second year in a row, and head coach Dan Brooks garnered ACC Coach of the Year accolades for the third-straight season.

"We had some successes last year, and it was a good year as far as mental toughness goes, but as of the end of this season, we're a different set of people." Brooks said. "There's a lot of thinking going on out there, and there's a different team mentality."

Chuasiriporn agreed with Brooks, saying that the team has put last year's performance behind it and is looking forward to the increased competition.

"We are a stronger team now mentally and physically, and not much is going to prevent us from winning a national championship," she said.

In addition to their new attitudes, the Blue Devils rely on their internal strength to increase their level of play.

"One of the best things we have going for our team is the camaraderie as well as the tight competition that we provide for each other," Chuasiriporn said. "The way we are playing right now, any one of us can win this tournament,"

Despite its mental strength and cohesion, the team has not rested on its laurels since the ACC Championship. Brooks said after ACCs that the team was going to spend the next three weeks in putting practice.

"Our long games are very good right now," Chuasiriporn said, "and it very apparent that it is all going to depend upon our short games."

Brooks and Chuasiriporn said the team has been trying to get academic assignments taken care of so it can be focused during the tournament, which takes place during finals week.

"It's a challenge that we've been able to handle," Brooks said.

One advantage for the Blue Devils is that the regional competition will take place on their home course, the Washington Duke Golf Club.

"Playing on our own turf is quite an advantage for us," Chuasiriporn said. "I think we have an advantage because the Duke course is not an easy course to get used to."

But Brooks downplayed the home course advantage.

"There are always some nuances on the home golf course that you're going to be more aware of than someone else, but I think this team has the ability to play this course as if we were traveling," he said.

While the Blue Devils only need to finish in the top eight to qualify for national competition, the team is only looking forward to placing "definitely first, nothing else." Chuasiriporn said. "We should be in good shape contending for the East Regional championship."

Share and discuss “Women's golf hopes to avoid repeating history” on social media.