Resignation brings end for UNC's father-son tandem

Under the tutelage of his coach and father, Mike Roberts, North Carolina shortstop Brian Roberts exploded for a spectacular freshman campaign last year, culminating in his selection as National Freshman of the Year by Collegiate Baseball and Baseball America.

Nothing could've been finer for the Roberts family at Carolina.

Then August rolled around.

In a move that shocked everyone involved with UNC baseball, Mike Roberts handed in his resignation effective after this season, citing "personal reasons." He added in a statement released through the UNC Sports Information Office, "This decision has been very difficult, having played and coached in Chapel Hill since 1968."

Roberts is the winningest coach in UNC history, the second-winningest active coach in the Atlantic Coast Conference with 761 wins, and has led Carolina to five regular season titles in his 21 years as a head coach. Roberts also enjoyed a fine playing career in Carolina from 1970-72, earning All-ACC status all three seasons as a catcher.

After the initial storm surrounding the resignations cleared, suspicions arose that Roberts' resignation may not have been entirely voluntary.

"My conclusion is he is being pushed out-whether it is by [UNC Athletics Director] Dick Baddour or by the chancellor [Michael Hooker]," said Scott Bradley, former Tar Heel baseball standout, immediately after the resignation. "I would call it more of a back-stabbing for somebody who put in 22 years of service and graduated players."

Regardless of the uncertainty of the circumstances surrounding Roberts' departure, what's certain is that this will be the final year Mike Roberts will be at the helm of the Tar Heels, and most likely the final year Brian Roberts will look to Mike Roberts as his coach, in addition to being his father, mentor and confidant.

"It's been emotional at times; it's been difficult at times," Brian Roberts said. "From the beginning of the fall when the decision came out, I think my emotions have changed from day to day. Sometimes, I think it might be the right decision, and at other times, I wish he was going to be around a couple of more years. It's been a learning experience; it's been demanding."

While the Roberts certainly have run into a rocky path at Chapel Hill this season, for one glorious spring last year, the father-son tandem could not have clicked any better, as other ACC coaches could only look on in awe as Brian enjoyed the finest freshman season of any Tar Heel in history.

"I'd welcome the chance to [coach] my son some day, and I'd love for him to be the kind of player Brian Roberts is," Duke coach Steve Traylor said. "I think his dad has brought out the best in him. It's heartwarming to see their relationship and seeing the kind of year Brian had.

"It's gotta be very difficult personally for Brian and Mike with Mike not coming back next year and coaching his son this year, but they've both handled it very well."

Despite the difficulties, the compact 5-foot-10 package of dynamite has continued to shine at the plate this season, running away with the national lead in stolen bases with a 43 and batting .338. Admittedly however, Roberts feels his performance has declined from his stellar freshman campaign.

"My performance has definitely not been up to what I wanted this year," Roberts said. "I don't want to put up any excuses at all, but it has been difficult at times. I think my focus has struggled at times, and that could possibly been a part of it."

Regardless of Roberts' struggles, Cal Ripken would have been hard-pressed to match Robert's 1997 campaign. Roberts finished with the second highest batting average in the ACC (.427), led the ACC in stolen bases (42), recorded a phenomenal .505 on-base percentage, led his team in nine offensive categories and smashed the previous Carolina record for batting average of .400 held by B.J. Surhoff.

The lightly-recruited Roberts quickly had to make room in his living room for a trophy case as numerous honors piled on after the season-First-team All-ACC, ACC rookie of the year, Second-team All-American. In addition, Roberts was selected to play for the USA National team, where he started 21 games and hit .330. It was a year, according to Roberts, that would not have been possibly without the presence of his father.

"I think [my father] was a tremendous asset to me," Roberts said. "Obviously, he's been coaching my whole life, he wasn't around probably as much as people think he was. He taught me everything I knew growing up, but we didn't get all that much time doing it.

"Having him around during the game, during practice everyday, was a huge part of the success I had last year. I don't think anybody knew me as well as my dad, and could help me the way he did."

Now as the season winds down, Roberts will have that help from his father for a precious few more weeks-something both Roberts realize and cherish.

"When you're playing, in the heat of the game, you kind of forget about that sort of thing," Roberts said. "But as I look forward to the next 15, 20 games, I have to enjoy no matter what happens because it'll be the last time I'm gonna probably play for him."

Share and discuss “Resignation brings end for UNC's father-son tandem” on social media.