Kennedy promoted to assocaite AD

Continuing the re-shuffling in the athletic department, Chris Kennedy was promoted Wednesday to associate athletic director.

Kennedy, a 20-year veteran of the department, takes over the position from Joe Alleva, who was named the new athletic director last Friday. Kennedy was previously director of academic support and an assistant vice-president.

"I am fortunate to have Chris Kennedy already here on our department team," Alleva said. "He is without question an outstanding administrator and has already proven to be the best in the country in his field. I look forward to working more closely with him and utilizing his wisdom on a daily basis on matters that will shape the future of Duke athletics."

Kennedy's main duty as associate athletic director is running the day-to-day operations within the athletic department, a job that Alleva did for 12 years.

In his 20 years at Duke, the 46-year-old native of Hillsborough, Calif. has received five special citations for academic advising by the College Football Association. During Kennedy's tenure, over 95 percent of student-athletes have graduated, and the football program has won the CFA Academic Achievement award a record nine times for the highest graduation rate in the country, including in each of the last five seasons.

He also oversees compliance with the NCAA, monitoring the development of drug education and NCAA Certification programs, and working as an NCAA Peer Reviewer.

Kennedy earned his undergraduate and master's degree from Georgetown University, where he was the MVP of the men's soccer team in 1971, his senior year. He later received a Ph.D. from Duke.

Share and discuss “Kennedy promoted to assocaite AD” on social media.