Administration orders removal of 14 benches

The administration has taken its first proactive step since Saturday night's chaotic basketball celebration to prevent a similar situation in the weeks to come: It has ordered the removal of 14 benches from West Campus that either were deemed structurally unsafe or had been doused with flammable liquids.

Despite students' apparent determination to celebrate basketball victories with bonfires, administrators remain steadfastly opposed to the notion of building a bonfire in a safe environment.

"We're not looking into having a 'safe' bonfire," Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs Sue Wasiolek said. "Our goal is truly to keep students safe, and I'm not certain that they fully accept and recognize that."

In a closed meeting early Monday morning, administrators and students joined law enforcement officials in a discussion about the problems Saturday night and tried to pinpoint some of the factors that led the post-game celebration to devolve as it did.

"What we want to know is if there's anything we can do to make the situation better for the future," Wasiolek said, referring specifically to possible post-game celebrations following the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament and the NCAA Final Four.

"There were concerns about the entire weekend," she continued. "We all agree that it was a very difficult and discouraging situation. There was no one burned, but we recognize the potential for absolute disaster because people were dousing benches in gasoline."

Enacting the administration's first policy decision on the matter, Kacie Wallace, assistant dean of student development, sent an e-mail to the 14 dormitory presidents whose benches will be removed. The letter also stated that residents of those dorms are forbidden from building another bench until after April 1.

"If a bench is built before this date or if any lumber is found in your house, it will be removed," Wallace wrote in the letter.

President of House S and Trinity sophomore Lindsey Willison, who received Wallace's e-mail, said students tried to burn her dorm's bench three times Saturday evening.

"Finally they threw couches on it to burn it because they couldn't get anything to keep it burning," she said.

According to Duke University Police Department reports, 23 University students and two non-University students were arrested Saturday night as nearly 1,000 members of the student body tried, against the will of law enforcement agents, to burn benches on various quadrangles throughout West Campus. Charges ranged from disorderly conduct to delaying and obstructing officers.

Most of the students arrested have court dates set for March 10, and almost all will be subject to University disciplinary action. The reports, said Associate Dean of Student Development Paul Bumbalough in a statement, will be forwarded to his office and students will likely be required to appear before the Undergraduate Judicial Board.

Fire officials reported that at least 14 benches, two couches and one recliner were set on fire by students Saturday night. Several benches that had been doused in gasoline have also been found in the time since the party.

"Alcohol, gasoline and fire don't mix," said Bill Boten, manager of the University's fire and safety division in the Office of Occupational and Environmental Safety. "A minority of students put the majority at risk, and it's a deplorable act."

Share and discuss “Administration orders removal of 14 benches” on social media.