Academic Council hears update on status of Black Faculty Initiative

At the last meeting with its 1996-97 members whose terms are expiring this semester, the Academic Council filled its agenda at yesterday's meeting with matters related to the black members of the University community-the council discussed the progress of the Black Faculty Initiative and the possibility of granting tenure to faculty associated with the African and African-American studies program.

Summarizing the administration's third progress report since the BFI began in the fall of 1993, Provost John Strohbehn reported that although last year's increase in the number of black faculty members was more modest than in the past, the upper administration is pleased with the success of this year's recruitment despite "very competitive market conditions."

Since 1993, the report states, the total number of non-tenure-track black faculty members has increased from 45 to 65-a 44-percent increase. Tenure-track positions have increased by six: from 36 to 42.

But last year, Strohbehn said, was a relatively stable one: Changes occurred only in the Medical Center, where three tenure-track members left the University and four members in regular-track positions were added. He pointed out, however, that while the University is not as successful with its tenure-track positions, it is making notable progress in non-tenure-track positions.

The outlook for this year, however, remains promising. "It looks much better," Strohbehn noted. "We're beginning to see the results of discussions that began long ago. We already have four tenure-track professors signed."

On a related but separate note, members of the Academic Council also discussed for the first time the possibility of making tenure-track professorships available in the African and African-American studies program-a program that currently offers professors tenure only through other departments with which they also have appointments. Members of the council will vote to approve the proposal at their meeting next month.

Strohbehn also pointed out that granting tenure through the AAAS program would strengthen its infrastructure and thus allow it to move forward nationally.

The provost noted two compelling reasons tenure-track positions are necessary: First, he said, there are several faculty appointments the administration would like to make in the program, but because the candidates do not fit adequately into any other departments, those appointments are nearly impossible. Additionally, Strohbehn said, in order for the program to grow it needs professors dedicated solely to achieving that end and not being pulled in different directions by their other departments.

Karla Holloway, director of the AAAS program, said that issues of diversity and national identity will become more prevalent as the turn of the century approaches, and the University should be "the site and source" for the discussion to flourish.

Share and discuss “Academic Council hears update on status of Black Faculty Initiative” on social media.