Women's basketball wins ACC title

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - Seven years ago, coach Gail Goestenkors learned how difficult it was to coach in the Atlantic Coast Conference, when Duke finished in last place in the conference after her rookie season.

Sunday afternoon at University Hall in Charlottesville, Goestenkors realized that winning first place is just as tough, as she guided her Blue Devils to their first ACC title. but only after a 85-78 overtime struggle with No. 15 Virginia.

But when junior center Michele VanGorp picked her up and swung her around in circles after the game, Gostenkors realized just how much the hard work was worth it.

"[First place] means a great deal," Goestenkors said. "I'm proud of my team. This is the first team that really came through in the clutch, played focused for many games and put great teams away. We're reaping the rewards of a lot of hard work."

Specifically, the clutch against Virginia (18-7, 9-6 in the ACC) came in the overtime period. The No. 11 Blue Devils (19-6, 12-3) took the lead on a Nicole Erickson jumper with 3:47 left in the period and never looked back.

VanGorp and Erickson, two players who sat out last year as Purdue transfer students, made the difference against the Cavaliers. VanGorp, starting for an injured Payton Black, scored a career-high 28 points, 21 of which came in the first half.

Black, who severely sprained her ankle during Friday's practice, did not dress for the game and is questionable for the ACC Tournament.

VanGorp took over the starting role with authority, winning the jump ball and sinking the Blue Devils' first three field goals.

Her 21 points were instrumental in leading Duke to a 44-35 lead at the half. She also made 10 of 12 free throws in the game, a stark contrast from her 55 percent accuracy from the line before Sunday. Due to Black's injury, VanGorp played 33 minutes, 11 over her season average.

"I knew I wouldn't be getting much rest," VanGorp said. "Pressure is good for me; it gets me focused. I knew I could play at this level."

In the second half, Cavaliers center DeMya Walker face-guarded VanGorp and shut her down almost completely. VanGorp was unable to make any field goals in the second half, but she did make 3-of-4 free throws.

The decreased offense production opened the door for the Cavaliers, who chipped away at the Blue Devils' lead throughout the second half.

Led by Walker and freshman Erin Stovall, who each had eight second-half points, the Cavaliers tied the score at 52 with 11:32 left in the half. After Duke pulled back ahead on an Erickson three-pointer from the top of the key, the Cavaliers caught up again minutes later and took the lead 60-59 on a McKinney lay-up.

The teams were deadlocked again at 61 and then at 70, with 1:26 left in regulation. The Cavaliers had possession of the ball in the final minute, and after Lauren Rice blocked Walker's shot, they took two consecutive time-outs.

Apparently, neither time-out helped as the Cavaliers promptly turned the ball over on their ensuing possession. Sophomore Peppi Browne recovered the loose ball and threw a long pass to wide-open Rochelle Parent, making her first appearance in seven games due to a foot injury suffered before Duke's loss to Maryland. Parent took three steps with the ball and was called for traveling. Despite the travelling violation, Parent played her best game of the season, finishing with nine rebounds and seven points.

After the ensuing Virginia time-out, McKinney, Virginia's lone senior, took two shots to win the game on senior day. She missed both of them, sending the game into overtime tied 70-70.

While the Blue Devils had not played an overtime game this season, Virginia had played past regulation in three games. The Cavaliers had defeated North Carolina in triple-overtime, defeated Florida State in overtime and had lost to the Tar Heels in double-overtime in their last home game.

Leading the Blue Devils in overtime was Erickson, who finished the game as the team's second leading scorer with 23 points. Seven of those points, including a three-pointer, came in the overtime period.

Last year Erickson and VanGorp watched from the bench when the Cavaliers handed the Blue Devils an embarrassing 86-56 loss on Duke's senior day.

"We were just licking our lips last year waiting for this year to come," Erickson said. "It's exactly what we wanted to happen and it's just like what coach said would happen."

Virginia coach Debbie Ryan had a different interpretation of what happened during the game.

"I thought the difference in the game was the foul differential, but I'm not allowed to comment on that," she said. "When one team goes to the foul line 42 times and the other team goes 14 times, it's difficult to make up for that."

Share and discuss “Women's basketball wins ACC title” on social media.