Krzyzewski reiterates Brand's doubtful status for returning

Elton Brand isn't returning to the men's basketball team any time soon, coach Mike Krzyzewski told the media before yesterday's game.

Despite rumors to the contrary, Krzyzewski is not expecting Brand to play again this year. The 6-foot-8 freshman broke his left foot in practice on Dec. 27 and has not practiced since. At the time, he was Duke's leader in scoring and rebounding.

"In my mind, he's not coming back," Krzyzewski said. "We've tried to let Elton progress in a no-pressure, get-well type of situation. He's in an orthotic [shoe] now; he's not doing anything in basketball. At least he can walk around now in an orthotic and a running shoe, [instead of] a boot or crutches."

Brand's injury, Krzyzewski explained, was a serious fracture, and one that takes a long time to heal on such a large athlete. The stress on a broken foot is obviously much heavier when supporting a 260-lb. center than when holding up a smaller player.

Krzyzewski asserted that the Blue Devils were not talking about the possibility of a return. Duke has altered its focus over the past six weeks, he said.

"You start talking about it, and I think it hurts your team, and it could hurt the kid," Krzyzewski said. "He may say he's feeling great three weeks from now, and he's not. Then he comes back and gets hurt again."

Brand had started the first 11 games of his college career before breaking the fifth metatarsal bone in his left foot. His 16.0 points per game and 7.0 rebounds per game were tops on the Blue Devils. He also led the team in blocks, field goals made and free throws made.

A first team Parade All-American from Peekskill, N.Y., Brand was enjoying what Krzyzewski had called "as good a year as any freshman that has ever played for me."

Recent speculation had tabbed Brand for a late-February or early-March return to the court. But Krzyzewski insisted yesterday that Brand is not yet ready to practice, much less play in any of the Blue Devils' remaining regular-season contests.

Share and discuss “Krzyzewski reiterates Brand's doubtful status for returning” on social media.