Panel talks about 'welcoming climate'

How can the University community create a welcoming climate for students and faculty members of all races?

This question was the focus a panel of three speakers yesterday afternoon in the Mary Lou Williams Center as leaders assessed racial and other social problems facing the University. The panel-composed of Benjamin Reese, assistant vice president for cross-cultural relations; Geraldine Henderson, assistant professor of marketing at the Fuqua School of Business; and Dr. Brenda Armstrong, associate dean and director of admissions for the medical school-was selected to represent the different segments of the University.

Reese, a licensed clinical psychologist, launched the discussion by explaining that he has been "a fly on the wall" at the University for the past few years observing what he calls the "P's of climate:" people, paper, publications, perspectives and the public. Citing experience gained through countless meetings and discussions, Reese said he consistently noticed a lack of follow-up on many proposals, whcih became detrimental to fostering a welcoming climate. He added, however, that he is pleased with the number of "well-meaning people" at the University and encouraged everyone to "push the issue."

During their opening comments, both Henderson and Armstrong stressed that administrators and faculty members bear a responsibility to affect climate changes, because most students' careers at the University span only four brief years. Every educational institution needs a critical mass of stable, long-term employees who make proactive efforts to mentor, encourage and empower junior faculty members to take active roles in the community, Armstrong explained.

Ideally, she continued, these new faculty members will become permanent fixtures in the community, acting as role models and mentors to their students of different races, as well as mentoring other new faculty members, and thereby continuing a cycle.

"Once the critical mass occurs, it becomes a self-perpetuating phenomenon," she said.

Whereas Armstrong said she is witnessing this critical mass at the medical school, Henderson expressed less enthusiasm about the success.

She said she is burdened with numerous race issues that seem to lay at her door simply because she is one of only two black faculty members at Fuqua-and the only black woman. Despite her desire to help everyone, Henderson said, she cannot deal with all of the issues herself.

"Being the first gets old real fast," she said.

Armstrong said the first step toward meeting the critical mass and creating a welcoming climate is "being at the table." She explained that before the faculty and administration change their policies, they must identify and admit their own "racism, sexism and anything-else-isms, and work not to visit them on a greater group of people."

Although Reese said he wanted to take more personal action to encourage institutions to create more welcoming environments, he said that as a consultant, he has neither "the clout nor the carrot" to force or entice people to change.

Instead, he said, he will continue to encourage people not only to raise but also to pursue these issues. The message, he said: "Keep them on the agenda. Keep them at the forefront."

Share and discuss “Panel talks about 'welcoming climate'” on social media.