Krzyzewski breaks silence regarding search for new Duke AD

GREENSBORO - Following the men's basketball team's 35-point win over North Carolina A&T Tuesday night in Greensboro, coach Mike Krzyzewski weighed in on a subject he has previously kept quiet on-the search for Tom Butters' replacement as Duke athletic director.

While Krzyzewski spoke strongly on the subject, the motive for his comments remained unclear. Krzyzewski could have been disputing reports published in The News & Observer of Raleigh that the AD search has been narrowed to two non-Duke affiliated candidates, or he could have been seizing the opportunity to lobby for the in-house candidates, who some consider longshots for the job.

The N&O reported Monday that a source within the Blue Devil athletic department believed the search had been narrowed down to just a pair of candidates: athletic directors Chris Hill of Utah and Gene Smith of Iowa State, both outsiders.

Asked for his thoughts on the matter, Krzyzewski appeared adamant that the University's AD search was not that narrow.

"We should get the best that Duke can get, and we shouldn't overlook the fact that the best may already be here," Krzyzewski said. "In looking at this whole thing we have to make sure to investigate the people who are there, who are closest to Duke and give them a huge look. You should look at everybody, but I think those people will stand up well."

"Those people" are Associate Athletic Director Joe Alleva and Assistant Atlantic Coast Conference Commissioner Tom Mickle, Engineering '72.

Although Krzyzewski previously remained quiet on the subject of the AD search, the dean of ACC coaches let it be known that, with the decision expected soon, his opinion will be sought and he intends to provide input.

"People are going to ask me for my opinion, and I'll give that opinion to [President Nan Keohane] and the committee if they ask," Krzyzewski said. "I feel that I have a good perspective. If they were choosing the head of the English department, especially for me the English department, I'm sure they would not want my opinion. But I've been involved in athletics for 23 years and 18 at Duke; I would think that mine would be a valuable opinion. It doesn't have to be the only opinion. I'm sure it will be accepted in that manner."

In addition to supplying Keohane with three finalists, the executive committee has been asked by Keohane to make a recommendation for the position.

Share and discuss “Krzyzewski breaks silence regarding search for new Duke AD” on social media.