Men's basketball takes on Virginia in conference opener

For Virginia forward Norman Nolan, the memory of the final seconds of Virginia's last meeting with Duke still lingers.

Rewind to February 11 of this year: UVa is hosting then-No. 6 Duke, looking to make a late-season statement and secure a berth in the NCAA Tournament.

Nolan steps to the free throw line with five seconds left in the game and the score knotted up at 60 points apiece and converts one of two free throws to give his team a narrow lead, setting off pandemonium in University Hall.

The pandemonium, however, quickly shifts to the court.

Nolan thinks swingman Willie Dersch will replace him for defensive purposes after the free throw. So does Dersch, Virginia coach Jeff Jones and the timekeeper. The only key figures who does not know about the planned substitution are the referees.

Steve Wojciechowski receives the inbounds pass amid the confusion and streaks upcourt while the clock stood still. A bewildered Nolan then fouls Wojciechowski, thus giving the point guard a chance to step into the hero's role.

After reviewing the play courtside, the referees decide Nolan had committed the foul with 0.7 seconds left and gives Wojciechowski a chance at the line, much to the Cavaliers' collective chagrin.

Wojciechowski made good on the chance, hitting both freebies to help the Blue Devils wrestle the win from the Cavaliers, 62-61.

"Last year is last year," Wojciechowski said. "It may be something to motivate them, but we're on a new season, and we're looking forward to Saturday. We're going to play hard just because we're playing-not because of something that happened in the past."

Although Wojciehowski wound up stealing the spotlight from Nolan in that contest, Nolan still agrees with his sentiments.

"I certainly remember last year's game; it left a bad taste in my mouth," Nolan said. "It was very disappointing, but fortunately, we were still able to get into the [NCAA] tournament. So as bad as it hurt us, it didn't hurt us as much as it could have. That's still in the back of my head, but that was last year, this is this year."

Unfortunately for Nolan and the Cavaliers, the Virginia team (4-1) which travels to Cameron Indoor Stadium this Saturday to tackle No. 1 Duke (7-0) in each team's Atlantic Coast Conference opener is not nearly as talented nor experienced as last year's edition.

The steady point guard tandem of Harold Deane and Jamal Robinson graduated in May, while beleaguered teammate Courtney Alexander transferred to Fresno State after facing assault charges.

A pair of freshmen, Chezley Watson and Donald Hand, has been called on to fill the void left at the point guard position. The duo has combined for 7.8 points, 6.8 assists and 5.2 rebounds per game so far this season.

"We lack the experience we had at the point guard last year, but the guys are coming along," Nolan said. "Each game, you can see the guys are getting better at the point guard spot. The game on Saturday, I'm just going to tell the guys not to let the crowd get to you, stay focused and know what you're here to do."

While adjusting to the surroundings of Cameron Indoor Stadium may be difficult for the point guards, the two top guns in Virginia's arsenal, Nolan and two-guard Curtis Staples, should have no problems dealing with the crowd.

In fact, Nolan says Cameron is one of his favorite places to play on the road.

The 6-foot-8 senior averaged 12 points and seven rebounds in two games against Duke last season and provides the Cavaliers with a strong inside presence with his power game.

So far this season, Nolan has been more than up to the task, averaging a double-double at 18.4 points and 10.4 rebounds per contest.

The only other Cavalier to average double digits in scoring is Staples at 18.2. The ACC's leading marksman from beyond the arc last season, Staples will need his deft touch from the outside if Virginia is to stage an upset against the nation's top-ranked team.

"It doesn't matter to us if Duke is anywhere in the top 25," Nolan said. "The point is that we're not ranked, and this is an opportunity for us to make a big name for ourselves and show people what we're capable of doing. Also there's no pressure on us. All we have to do is go out and play, and let whatever happens happen.

"Anything is possible, especially in the ACC. We're not counting myself or the other guys out because we've worked really hard up to this point. The team is going to continue to work hard going into Saturday's game with the intention of winning it."

Anya Sostek contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “Men's basketball takes on Virginia in conference opener” on social media.