Swim teams lose first meet to N.C. State

Both the men's and women's swimming and diving teams opened their seasons with losses to N.C. State in Raleigh.

The women had individual winners in just two events as they lost to the Wolfpack 155-81. The men managed just one individual win as they dropped a 162-74 decision to State.

Leading the way for the Blue Devil women was freshman Amy Armond who won the 200-meter butterfly by almost five seconds with a time of 2:04.26. Armond also helped Duke finish second in both the 400 medley realay and the 400 freestyle relay.

Junior Heather Winter was the only other Blue Devil woman to win an individual event as she finished first in the 200 breastroke in 2:29.97. Winter also finished fourth in the 200 Individual Medley in a time of 2:16.88, three seconds off the winning time.

Junior Leslie King had a strong showing in the 100 freestyle, finishing in 55.74, less than a second behind the winner in second place.

Junior Mark Rotblat was the lone winner for the Blue Devilmen as he took the 200 breastroke in 2:13.92. Rotblat also helped Duke to a third-place finish in the 400 medley relay.

Juniors Andrew Moore and Chris Wise had strong showings in the 500 freestyle as they finished 2-3 with times of 5:01.07 and 5:01.71, respectively.

Both Duke squads hit the pool in Chapel Hill Tuesday afternoon at 5 p.m. to take on North Carolina.

Share and discuss “Swim teams lose first meet to N.C. State” on social media.