Volleyball gets back on track in ACC, sweeps Virginia, 3-0

The volleyball team got back on the winning track Friday night in Cameron Indoor Stadium as it swept Atlantic Coast Conference foe Virginia, 3-0.

The Blue Devils (10-12, 6-4 in the ACC) were coming off a heartbreaking five-game loss against undefeated Maryland Thursday night. Having failed to rise to the occasion in the pressure-filled rally score fifth game the night before, Duke saw its chance for redemption Friday, and took it.

After handily taking the first game from the Cavaliers (14-12, 4-6 in the ACC) 15-6, the Blue Devils faced an intimidating 14-9 deficit in the second game. Duke showed its resolve in clawing its way back to a 14-14 tie before taking a 15-14 lead on a solo block by junior Megan Irvine.

After UVa evened the score at 15-15, Duke earned a sideout and Irvine slammed the door on the Cavs again with another rejection. The Blue Devils took the game 17-15 on the ensuing point on an attacking error by Virginia.

"Like I told my team during the second timeout of game two, the finish of this game is all about fighting and laying it all on the line," Duke coach Linda Grensing said. "I was extremely pleased that they did that.

"A couple people who really stepped it up were Kristen Campbell and Maureen Reindl. Mo [Reindl] did a great job. She got in there and hit some great shots and really got this [match] going for us. Once somebody initiated it, they were ready to go and follow that lead."

Reindl led the Blue Devils with 14 kills and 12 digs on the night. The senior hit an impressive .400 for the match. In game two alone, she had six kills and hit at a .500 clip.

"Maureen is smart player and she is very court-wise," Grensing said. "One thing Maureen really does is see the court well and sees the open shots."

With the dramatic game two win in hand, Duke cruised to a 15-4 win in the third game.

"[Game two] was a critical game in terms of the whole match," Grensing said. "Had we not won the second game, that could have been a four or five game match."

Sophomore Sarah Peifer continued to be force for the Blue Devils, recording 10 kills and 10 digs on the night. Sophomore Jami Ediger was the only other Blue Devil in double digits for kills, finishing with 12.

One player whose contributions did not show up as much on the stat sheet, but whose play continued to be a key for Duke was Dominique Philipp. The sophomore recorded only six kills on the night, but did a superb job acting as Duke's second quarterback on the floor. Each time setter Campbell was forced to play the first ball over the net, Philipp stepped in and took the second ball and set up the Blue Devil hitters.

"Your right-front is clearly the person who should take that ball," Grensing said. "But there's always the question of whether that person can step up and do that job. The great thing about Dom is that she has become very aggressive in that position, not just physically, but verbally."

Duke returns to the court Tuesday night in Winston-Salem as they face ACC rival Wake Forest at 7 p.m.

Share and discuss “Volleyball gets back on track in ACC, sweeps Virginia, 3-0” on social media.