UNC coach Dean Smith formally steps down

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - The Dean has left his building.

After 36 years as head coach of the North Carolina men's basketball team, Dean Smith officially called it quits Thursday afternoon during a press conference at the arena named after him. He will be succeeded by Bill Guthridge, his assistant at Carolina for the past 30 years.

Smith, college basketball's all-time winningest coach with 879 career wins, stunned the UNC community and the sports world by making the announcement just nine days before the start of fall practice. Some wondered whether adverse circumstances, possibly related to Smith's health, had caused the timing of Smith's announcement.

"There's been much speculation over the last 24 hours about this decision," Smith said. "I am healthy, outside of no exercise, which will begin on Monday at the James Worthy diabetic golf tournament-I'm going to walk.

"It's all been about 'something's wrong,' and the thing is, I'm 66 years old."

The timing behind Smith's decision was not entirely unexpected, as Smith has confided in Guthridge for the past decade that, should he decide to step down, he would make that determination in the fall-not in the spring, as coaches traditionally have.

"Every year for the last 10 years or so, Dean has told me around this time of year that I had better be ready because he wasn't sure whether he was going to be able to do this again," Guthridge said. "And each year, he's gotten his battery recharged about August or September, and this year, he just wasn't able to."

What finally overwhelmed Smith may not have been the rigors of facing a grueling 16-game Atlantic Coast Conference schedule every year or the pressure of winning a minimum of 20 games for 27-straight seasons. It may have been all of the other off-court responsibilities that come with being a coach at such a high-profile program.

"I enjoy basketball," Smith said. "I enjoy coaching basketball, but it's the out-of-season things that I haven't been able to handle very well.... Every April I feel like, 'Oh gosh,' and then I get charged up again.... Watching Larry Brown out on the court with all his enthusiasm made me say, 'I used to be like that.' But I can't give this team that enthusiasm."

Smith debuted as head coach of the Tar Heels Dec. 2, 1961, and hasn't looked back since. Thirty-six seasons later, Smith has accumulated not only the most wins ever by a college coach, but innumerable other streaks, titles and records. Smith's UNC teams have finished third or better in the ACC for 33 consecutive seasons, including 17 first-place finishes. Carolina has also racked up 13 ACC tournament titles under Smith's direction.

In the NCAA Tournament, Smith has far surpassed UCLA's John Wooden as the all-time victory leader. Smith retires with 65 NCAA wins, 18 more than the legendary Wooden and 25 more than Indiana's Bobby Knight and Duke's Mike Krzyzewski. Smith has also guided his teams to 11 Final Fours in 27 NCAA appearances, including a record 23-straight tourney trips.

Commenting on the effect of Smith's departure on UNC and its athletic department, athletic director Richard Baddour, who was hired in June, read from a prepared statement.

"Without regard to 859 wins, Dean Smith is absolutely the greatest to ever coach the game of basketball," Baddour said. "Furthermore, he is one of the greatest teachers to ever be a part of the University of North Carolina. His devotion to the University and its student-athletes is what has endeared him to us all.

"Through his integrity, his loyalty, his commitment to academic excellence, his class and his ability to bring out the best in those around him, he has brought national acclaim to this university and this state for nearly 40 years. Coach, you are the best."

For Chancellor Michael Hooker, Smith's retirement inspired a host of memories and emotions.

"This is very difficult," Hooker said. "I have admired Dean Smith ever since I was a freshman here in 1965. I remember seeing Dean in Carmichael [Auditorium] in 1965, having a conversation with someone. I just stood and watched for 10 minutes. Dean has been my hero ever since, and I have always held him up to coaches I have worked with over the years."

The man selected to replace Smith echoed Hooker's and Baddour's sentiments when he explained that he had repeatedly encouraged Smith to reconsider his decision and to stay on as the Tar Heels' coach.

"On Tuesday, when Dean reiterated his decision to me," Guthridge said, "I told him that it would be all right with me if he wanted to change his mind anytime between then and now. In fact, if he wants to change his mind now, that's fine, too."

But with the decision and the announcement made, Smith is ready to move on to his life beyond collegiate coaching. He stated Thursday that he plans to stay on with the University in some capacity, honoring the remainder of his contract, which runs through 2001.

"We're delighted that Coach Smith wants to stay in Chapel Hill, and he is welcome to do anything that he wants to do," Hooker said. "I actually received several e-mails this morning from students suggesting that I retire and let Dean take over as chancellor."

Smith said that he would be interested in returning to the basics of coaching by instructing the University's PE basketball course. He will also continue to conduct coaching clinics for other college and high school basketball coaches.

As for other potential employment opportunities?

"Well, [Philadelphia 76ers coach and UNC alum] Larry Brown has offered me a job as a janitor for the 76ers," Smith said. "Plus, I've always loved diagraming plays. I've got a sure-fire play to get Shammond [Williams] open for the three every time and still keep Antawn [Jamison] in the game.... I've told Makhtar [Ndiaye] that he can shoot a three this year. But now it's up to Coach Guthridge as to whether they get to do these things."

As the press conference wound down, the inevitable 'how do you want to be remembered?' question was tossed out. Smith put on a face of humility, but answered the inquiry with the grace and class for which he will always be remembered.

"I haven't given that a great deal of thought, if any; in fact, none," Smith said. "I hope they say he did a good job and lived happily ever after. And he loved his players and received loyalty in return."

Jamal Middlebrooks contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “UNC coach Dean Smith formally steps down” on social media.