Goldsmith re-evaluates feelings on penalty call

Two days after a discouraging 13-10 loss to Virginia, Duke coach Fred Goldsmith took a few moments at his weekly press conference to look back at the controversy surrounding Chris Combs' unsportsmanlike penalty before moving ahead to Saturday's home game against Wake Forest.

Late in the fourth quarter, with the score tied at 10 and the Cavaliers just inside Duke's 30, Combs sacked Virginia quarterback Aaron Brooks and appeared to force the Cavs into a long field-goal situation. But Combs directed a salute toward the Blue Devils' sideline and was consequently flagged 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct by a rule created two years ago. Virginia went on to kick the game-winning field goal.

Goldsmith was irate about the call both during and after the game, arguing with the referees well after the final gun had sounded. He spoke with Atlantic Coast Conference officials on Sunday and was in a slightly more conciliatory mood yesterday.

"By the exact letter of the rule, that can be called a penalty," Goldsmith said at the press conference. "For what [Combs] did, that rule never would've been made. The intent [of the rule] was not to stop what the youngster did out there. But ultimately, it was my responsibility."

He called the play analogous to driving one mile over the speed limit and receiving a ticket. In this case, Duke was stuck with its third-straight loss.

"I feel badly that we had that violation," Goldsmith said. "But that's over and done with. That play's not the only thing that happened with that football game."

Indeed, Goldsmith was quicker to cite the Blue Devils' offensive struggles than to blame the loss on one penalty call. Duke gained only 190 total yards and turned the ball over twice, including a crucial fumble by Terrence Dupree in the fourth quarter.

Though the defense, highlighted by Brian Krenzel and Eric Scanlan, thwarted the Cavaliers' running game, the end result was the Blue Devils' third loss by less than a touchdown this year. Duke has fallen to Northwestern, Maryland and Virginia by a combined 13 points.

"For the third time this season, we had a chance to win the football game, and we just didn't get it done," Goldsmith said. "There are no excuses anymore."

This Saturday's opponent, Wake Forest, is similar to Duke in its current attempt to rebuild. The Demon Deacons are only 3-4 but have lost two games by a combined three points. Goldsmith said that Wake Forest is further along than the Blue Devils right now, though he feels that his team is getting closer to breaking through.

With just four games left in the season and no postseason hopes remaining, Duke is looking to gain not just confidence but results as the year concludes.

"We just have to keep on like we are," Goldsmith said. "The great thing would be to win some. I see the light at the end of the tunnel."

Also of note:

¥ Sophomore wide receiver Richmond Flowers has officially decided to take a medical redshirt after reinjuring a sprained ankle in practice;

¥ Goldsmith said that quarterback Spencer Romine should be able to practice this week, though he won't determine until after today's practice if the freshman is 100 percent. Romine, sidelined with a groin pull and hip injury, could see action against Wake Forest, though Bobby Campbell is likely to get the start;

¥ Saturday's game is slated for a noon kickoff and will be televised throughout the region on JP Sports;

¥ Safety Darius Clark, who sprained his ankle in the first half of the Virginia game and did not return, is questionable for Saturday's game against Wake Forest.

Share and discuss “Goldsmith re-evaluates feelings on penalty call” on social media.