Field hockey returns to action after long layoff

The field hockey team received more than a little break after wrapping up the first half of its season last Sunday.

Heading into the second half tonight, Duke will be coming off a season-long nine days between games. The 12th-ranked Blue Devils (5-4, 1-1 in the Atlantic Coast Conference) defeated Richmond 4-1 on Sept. 28 and return to the East Campus Turf Fields tonight at 7 p.m. for a conference battle against Wake Forest (7-6, 0-3).

Duke took advantage of the time off to not only rest up, but to focus on the details of the game that coach Liz Tchou has stressed since day one. Tchou and the Blue Devils have prepared not only for the Demon Deacons but for the upcoming weekend road games against Boston and Boston College as well.

"It was great to have this time off," senior Melissa Panasci said. "We all needed to rest physically and mentally. We had a great week in practice, and we're ready to play now."

Duke must be ready to play as it opens its last nine games, a difficult stretch that includes contests against North Carolina, Maryland and Virginia, all three of which are ranked in the top five in the country.

The strength of the ACC puts a game against Wake Forest almost into the must-win category. Last season, Duke beat the Demon Deacons in Winston-Salem but lost to them at home.

The Blue Devils hope to avoid following suit this season, as they have already beaten Wake Forest, 2-1, back on Sep. 17. Emily Ford led Duke on offense with a goal and an assist while goalkeeper Sarah Doherty stopped 10 shots. That game began a five-game losing streak for the Demon Deacons that ended Sunday with a 4-1 win over UMass.

But with the Blue Devils' remaining three conference games against three of the top five teams in the nation, this is one game Duke won't overlook.

"[Wake's] definitely improved since last time," Tchou said. "They're playing with a lot more spirit, and they've done a couple of things differently now.

"The last time we knew that we could play better. We know we really have to come out strong."

Tchou said that she is pleased with the progress that her team has steadily made during the first half. But now, in order to match last year's success, Tchou is hoping Duke will win some of the close games that it lost over the past month against the nation's better squads-a group that includes Duke's conference foes.

"This is definitely an important game," Panasci said. "In order to maintain our rank, we know we have to play well. We match up well with Wake, and it's going to be a great game."

Share and discuss “Field hockey returns to action after long layoff” on social media.