Racial problems do not offer 'quick fixes'

Must we settle for mediocrity in the way we treat one another? We as individuals and an institution daily strive for excellence, and often achieve it. However, few would argue that the University has provided a good model for diversity.

Several constituencies have spoken out on the need for fundamental change in race relations. Although our ideas may differ as to the means to accomplish this, we as a community have never been more united in our view of the problem and our vision of the goal.

As we turn toward the serious work of putting our rhetoric into action, we must keep in mind the fact that healing racial divisions is not a finitely solvable problem with a specific menu of solutions. This is not a one-shot proposition and there can be no quick fixes. It is something that must be implemented continuously, with creativity, flexibility, involvement and, most of all, personal responsibility.

Frank and honest dialogue on race can produce important structural changes in the ways we do business at the University. However, all such change will be useless without the daily act of treating each other with dignity and respect. This may be the closest we will ever come to a lasting solution to racism.

John Barrow

Clinical Assistant Professor

Counseling and Psychological Services

William O'Barr

Professor

Cultural Anthropology

William Reichert

Associate Professor

Biomedical Engineering

The writers drafted a letter on race issues signed by 250 University faculty and staff members two weeks ago.

Share and discuss “Racial problems do not offer 'quick fixes'” on social media.