Football team, DSG hold 12th man contest

For every Duke student who has ever sat in the stands at a football game and proclaimed, "You're kidding-even I could do better than that," it could be time to put your money where your mouth is, pal.

Duke Student Government, in conjunction with coach Fred Goldsmith and the Blue Devil football team, is sponsoring a "12th Man Contest" for the Sept. 27 home game against Navy. The contest will provide a Duke student with the opportunity to suit up, and presumably play, in the second half of that Saturday's Homecoming contest against the Midshipmen. The idea was presented to DSG by Trinity senior Mike Wilson.

DSG Vice President for Facilities and Athletics Jeri Powell announced the purpose for the contest and the general guidelines Tuesday in a faxed statement.

"We thought it would be great to try something different to increase school spirit," Powell said.

All undergraduate students are eligible to enter the contest and may pick up applications in the DSG office beginning today. Applications are due by 5 p.m., Sept. 24. On the basis of athletic experience and history and a brief essay response, a winner will be selected.

The announcement of the choice for the 12th man will not be made until halftime of the Navy game, at which time the winner will suit up and join the team on the field. Should the 12th man take the field, he or she will undoubtedly take home his or her share of bumps and bruises, but the winner will be assured of taking home a jersey with his or her name on the back and an autographed football.

Share and discuss “Football team, DSG hold 12th man contest” on social media.