Blue Devils join ESPN's Midnight Madness

Let the madness begin.

For the first time since coach Mike Krzyzewski's arrival at Duke, the Blue Devils will hold its first practice of the year at midnight on the first day allowed by the NCAA-Saturday, Oct. 18. The practice will be open and free to the public and will be a part of ESPN's Midnight Madness college basketball coverage.

ESPN's Dick Vitale will be in attendance at Cameron Indoor Stadium to host the cable network's one-hour special, which will also visit the opening night of men's practice at the universities of Rhode Island and South Carolina and the national champion Tennessee women's debut practice.

"I can't wait-I look forward to doing Midnight Madness at Duke," Vitale commented during an online chat session hosted by ESPNET Sports Zone. "Don't hold me back, baby! I don't need the plane to fly to Durham, just give me the cape and let's get the show on the road! Let's tip it off, baby!"

Among the activities planned for the evening will be the chance for one Duke student to win a year's tuition by sinking a halfcourt shot.

According to the Duke Sports Information office, coach Krzyzewski also plans to introduce the 1997-98 squad, salute the Cameron Crazies and debut the newly-installed home court. Construction of the new, state-of-the-art floor is still underway and will not be completed until late September. A 12-minute intra-squad scrimmage is also scheduled.

Krzyzewski welcomed the event despite never having opted for it in the past.

"ESPN asked us to be a part of their opening night of basketball coverage and we were honored to be asked," he said. "This will be a new venture for us and I think one that carries significance with a new team, a new season and our new homecourt. We have always looked to the Duke students and fans as an integral part of the team and this first practice should be an excellent opportunity to get our whole 'team' together right from the outset."

Notes:

¥Junior guard Trajan Langdon was named one of 25 preseason candidates for the Wooden Award, given annually to the top men's college basketball player. Langdon was also selected by Dick Vitale as a preseason first-team All-American.

¥Senior forward Roshown McLeod was forced to withdraw from the U.S. World University Games team this summer after he was diagnosed with a small chip fracture in his right ankle. McLeod was injured midway through the summer while playing in the Jersey League. He is expected to make a full recovery by early September.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils join ESPN's Midnight Madness” on social media.