Webb claims doubles title at Hilton Head satellite tourney

Last summer at this time, Vanessa Webb was trying to coax Karin Miller into attending Duke and playing doubles with Webb. Miller agreed, and the duo teamed up to record a 19-1 mark and advance to the NCAA quarterfinals last month.

This past weekend, the two were also advancing through a doubles tournament bracket, but this time on opposing teams. Both Webb, a rising junior, and Miller, who recently turned pro, competed in the USTA/Reebok Women's Satellite of Hilton Head, played at the Van Der Meer Tennis Center in Hilton Head Island, S.C.

The former Duke teammates also participated in singles but achieved their greatest success in doubles. Webb teamed up with Varalee Sureephong, who attends the University of Texas, while Miller's partner was Cypress, Texas native Stephanie Mabry.

In the first round of the 16-team field, each knocked off a top seed. Webb and Sureephong took out No. 1 seed Amy Jensen, from Wake Forest, and Samantha Reeves, 6-1, 6-7 (8-6), 6-1, while Miller and Mabry outfought second-seeded Amanda Augustus and Keirsten Alley, 7-5, 5-7, 6-3.

Webb and Sureephong advanced by default to the semifinals, where they routed Janet Bergman and Katie Granson, 6-4, 6-0.

Miller and Mabry had to battle for their quarterfinals win, in three sets, over Barrie Bernstein and Jackie Moe. But Miller's opportunity to square off against Webb in the championship was dashed in the semifinals, by Nicola Kaiwai and Gaye McManus, 6-4, 6-4.

Webb and Sureephong cruised in the finals, stopping Kaiwai and McManus 6-1, 6-3 to take the title.

The win was not without precedent. Webb, who began this tournament ranked 375th professionally in doubles, also won two satellite doubles tournaments last summer. During that run, she was teamed with Augustus.

Webb also won two singles tournament titles last year. She was not as fortunate at Hilton Head. Playing as the eighth seed, Webb advanced to the quarterfinals of the 32-player field but was knocked out by New Zealand's Rewa Hudson, 2-6, 6-4, 6-1.

Miller was upset in the first round of singles play by Ingrid Kurta, 5-7, 7-5, 6-4.

Share and discuss “Webb claims doubles title at Hilton Head satellite tourney” on social media.