Sports editor reflects on 4 years of Chronicle memories

Dear Mom and Dad,

Boy, do I have a lot to tell you. Last time I spoke to you, the Duke basketball team was advancing to the 1994 Final Four, it was late in my freshman year at Duke and you were telling me to get more involved on campus and to get my grades up.

Well, my grades haven't really changed very much since then, but I sure have gotten involved. You see, I am now finishing up my senior year here at Duke, and I am completing my tenure as co-sports editor of The Chronicle. With my graduation, I will turn over the reins of the sports department completely to my co-editor and close friend Mike King.

The last three years here at The Chronicle have been without a doubt the greatest experience of my life. Remember how I used to walk around while in high school, worshiping anything with the word 'Duke' written on it? Well, I have now had the opportunity to cover those teams and get to know their players and coaches, some of the nicest and most talented people I have ever met.

Let me fill you in on some of the events I have covered:

December, 1995: After you drove me thousands of miles to play in soccer games as a little boy, my soccer career never panned out. However, I was able to cover one of the great moments in Duke soccer history, as I witnessed the team knock off UVa in the semifinals before losing to Wisconsin in the finals. The win over UVa was one of the great displays of heart I have ever seen on a soccer field. The guys gave it their all to upset a soccer juggernaut, and it was a thrill to be able to put the game into words for the many Duke students who were not sitting in the freezing cold that day in Richmond.

March, 1996: Unfortunately, I was not able to experience the thrills of March Madness this year, as the basketball team got knocked off in the first round. However, I was privileged to be involved in an event that was closer to the heart, my friend Jeremy Kahn's win at the NCAA Fencing Championships. Although I was not able to be there, having a friend win a national championship truly brought Duke sports close to home.

November, 1996: I had the dubious honor of covering the last game in Duke's 0-11 football season, a loss to UNC. Wally Wade wasn't very crowded that day, but the players refused to give up. I entered the afternoon prepared to prove that The Chronicle isn't a cheerleader for Duke athletic teams and write a hard-hitting piece about the losing season, but I left with a sense of pride and optimism in my otherwise cynical mind.

January, 1997: We finally beat UNC. I recall you laughing at me camping out for this game during my freshman year. You knew how much Duke basketball meant to me, and encouraged my passion, but thought that the whole thing went a little bit overboard. Well, it all finally paid off that January evening in Cameron Indoor Stadium, as we finally beat the Tar Heels. Sitting on press row, I had to restrain myself from jumping up and joining the students in celebration. Beating Carolina was a feeling that could be matched by few others.

March, 1997, part 1: As The Chronicle's unofficial men's lacrosse beat writer for the past two years, I have been through many of the team's ups and downs. On the evening of March 12, the Blue Devils held on for a heart-stopping 8-7 win over UNC, their second straight dramatic win over the Tar Heels. The emotion of a close lacrosse game was multiplied tenfold by the excitement of beating the hated Tar Heels.

March 1997, part 2: As co-sports editor of The Chronicle, I got to travel to the NCAA Tournament in Charlotte. After all of those games up at the Meadowlands, I was going to be a part of it in my own little way. Unfortunately, the Blue Devils were knocked off in the second round, so my dreams of a trip to the Final Four were shattered. My clearest memory of the weekend, however, was sitting in the front of the press room, right in front of the crying Jeff Capel and Steve Wojciechowski, and wiping tears from my eyes as I, like Capel and Wojo, realized that it was all over.

There have been a number of other great games and people that I have written about-a few swim meets, some hard-fought wrestling matches and the occasional tennis match. However, what has made this place where I have spent so much time so special has been the people I have shared it with.

The Chronicle has helped restore in my life the sense of family that was destroyed when I lost you. The members of the staff, particularly the sports department, have been like brothers and sisters to me, teaching, sharing and learning with me. In addition to learning a thing or two about journalism, I have learned more about life and friendship from these people than I ever imagined possible. Being sports editor for most of this year has given me incredible lessons in leadership, teamwork and camaraderie that I could not have found anywhere else.

More important than any event (I can't believe I would have said anything was more important than a Duke basketball game before I started here) was receiving the Matthew A. Sclafani Memorial Scholarship a few weeks ago. This affirmed to me that my contribution to The Chronicle had indeed meant something to the people around me. You always told me to try to make a difference in the world, and this is what I tried to do. I only hope that I was able to spread a little bit of my passion towards The Chronicle to some of the younger writers so they can carry it on.

Now I must move on from the world of college sports journalism. It has been a great run with wonderful memories, and I am so glad that you encouraged me to get involved when we were pondering activities during freshman orientation. Though I must leave the hallowed halls of 301 Flowers, I will never leave behind my memories of this wonderful place, much as I will never leave behind my memories of you.

Love,

Eric

Eric Friedman is a Trinity senior and sports editor of The Chronicle. He would like to thank his mom for giving him the challenge of setting a near-perfect example to follow and teaching him to read using The New York Times sports section. He would also like to thank his Dad for instilling his love of life and sports in him, and always being there to have that extra game of catch.

Share and discuss “Sports editor reflects on 4 years of Chronicle memories” on social media.