Senior reflects on top 10 Chronicle reporting memories

For three of my four years at Duke University, I have had the distinct privilege of writing sports for The Chronicle. I emphasize the "sports" part of that last sentence because I know that at least someone reads the stories. It may only be a few field hockey players, but you only need one to have a readership.

Trust me on this one. You can pretty much count on the players reading their own stories and telling you about them. That is, unless you are a No. 1 ranked women's tennis player hailing from Canada who refuses to read anything about herself (sorry Vanessa, I had to get that joke in one last time).

Writing for The Chronicle has been a memorable experience and allowed me to see some incredible college athletics all over the country. It has been a difficult job at times, one that forced me to ask questions to players that I would rather not (Duke-Providence game in the NCAAs). But this job has also given me numerous amusing moments that often end up lying on the Chronicle's cutting floor.

So before I graduate, I feel that I need to give you "The Inside Stuff" (as Ahmad and Willow might say). If you understand that last reference, then you, like me, watch way too much TV. Without further ado, here is my Top Ten "Slightly Humorous" moments of being a Chronicle sports writer. **Disclaimer: A great writer should never include himself or herself in a story, but I've never been called a great writer, and as golfer Alicia Allison agrees, "It's only The Chronicle."

1. My first Interview-"Don't worry, Brandon, they know you don't know anything about field hockey, so just ask a general question and they will expand," said the Sports Editor. So following my first game, I walked up to the captain of the field hockey team, Mary Dye.

Brandon: "It has to feel good to start off the season with a win?"

Mary: "Yes."

End of Brandon's first interview.

1. Duke Football-In Duke's 23-21 victory over Army in 1995, seldom-used (at that time) wide receiver Joe Opalenick amassed a career-high 107 yards on nine catches. Following the game, I asked Sports Information Assistant Lori Winters to bring Joe to the post-game press conference. As other players walked into the press area, I waited for Joe to arrive. I waited and waited. While I waited, I began a conversation with a guy standing next me looking as confused as I was. I thought that he must be an Army student writer, waiting like me. He was a nice guy and we talked about the game. After 15 minutes, he said, "Do you know if someone was supposed to talk to me?" I said, "Who are you?"

He said, "Joe Opalenick."

1. Women's Soccer-Following some women's soccer games, head coach Bill Hempen often gets lots of pizza from the Domino's guy for the Blue Devils and the other team. Cash is never exchanged, so I presume that Bill has some serious connections (I think that he knows the "Noid"). Following one contest, I was waiting around to talk with Hempen.

Then-freshman Samantha Baggett, with pizza in hand, sees me waiting and shouts, "Hey, Reporter Boy, want some pizza?"

1. Anonymous Sport-Following a game, I asked a coach, who will remain anonymous, about a penalty that he/she received during the game: "I was just trying to pump my team up," the coach said. "Hell, I would strip if I thought it would help." I started laughing.

The coach replied, "Brandon, if you print that, I will beat you up." Hey, he/she never said it was off the record. The coach remains anonymous because he/she is still here and would still probably beat me up.

1. Men's Basketball-A big perk of writing sports is the all-expense paid trips to cover the teams. This year, I traveled down to Tallahassee to cover the game against Florida State. First of all, the rental car agency gave us a purple Dodge Neon as our car. While fellow writer Mike King was listening to Coach K in the press area, I left to go talk to the players in the locker room. Upon arriving, I found myself as the lone reporter in the room. I asked freshman Chris Carrawell some form of a question about his increased playing time (Chris had been playing extensively for the last two games). I heard laughter at the other end of the locker room. Later while listening to the tape, I discerned the comment that generated the chuckles, "What a stupid question."

2. Women's Soccer, again-While watching Duke destroy some team, I noticed that the opposing goalie was really short. I also noticed that many of Duke's shots were going over the net. I put two and two together, and I didn't get four.

Me: "So, Bill, I noticed that their goalie was short; you tell your players to aim high?"

Bill Hempen: "Brandon, that is a pretty stupid question."

1. The Venues-Picture this: Fellow writer Eric Friedman and I arrive at the Charlotte Coliseum to watch the men's basketball team practice the day before its first-round NCAA Tournament game against Murray State. Eric and I have not picked up our media credentials, so we are praying to run into Duke Sports Information before security kicks us out. After all, security should be tight at the NCAAs:

Me: "Hi, We're from The Duke Chronicle, we're going to go down to the floor to watch Duke practice."

Security Guard: "Yes sir, go right ahead."

1. Most Quotable Athletes-For the women, it has to be soccer player Andi Melde. Two years ago, having already locked up its NCAA position, Duke played Central Florida in a meaningless game. I asked Andi about the motivation to play the game (Duke won 2-0).

Melde: "I really wanted to beat them bad today because we knew if they lost, they would have no chance of making the tournament."

For the men, the winner is, without a doubt, wide receiver Corey Thomas. Ever wonder why any time you see anything about the football team in a newspaper or on television, Corey Thomas is always quoted? That is because Corey always has something to say. It would be unfair to single out one phrase as special. It's like the Rat-everybody has their favorite pita wrap.

1. Most Quotable Coach-Every year, I think that Hempen, men's lacrosse coach Mike Pressler or football coach Fred Goldsmith will make a run at the master, but the master always comes through in the clutch. The master of the quote is Coach K. The guy comes up with some of the most off-the-wall anecdotes. When asked if Greg Newton was in the "doghouse:"

K: "I have two labs at home, and I don't have any other doghouse-if I wanted another dog, I'd go out and buy one."

Coach K can also abuse reporters better than Deion Sanders. Reporters love to be mentioned in press conferences even if it is in jest. We crave attention, we want to be written about, we need to be loved. If you don't believe me, count how many times that I've referred to myself in this column.

1. The headlock-I first met athletic director Tom Butters down in Florida at the Hall of Fame Bowl. After discovering that I write for The Chronicle, Butters puts me in a headlock and gives me a noogie.

But before I say goodbye to my last reader (hopefully that one field hockey player is still reading by now), I just want to thank all of the players and coaches who have made Duke a great place to watch and cover sports. Unfortunately, this is the last time that I will ever write sports for The Chronicle, as Duke Law School rejected me, thus preventing me from writing sports for another three years (hey, what are they going to do, reject me again?). I'm not so sure if the Duke coaches were that upset, or for that matter, readers of The Chronicle.

Brandon Ehrhart is a Trinity senior and associate sports editor of The Chronicle. He would like to say that after receiving a press pass to watch Duke basketball games from press row and avoid camping out, the best seats in Cameron are still the bleachers.

Share and discuss “Senior reflects on top 10 Chronicle reporting memories” on social media.