NBA shifts into high gear with first round of playoffs

It's that time of year again, when the NBA ends its 82-game long weeding out process and the real season begins, where players actually start to care and the games actually become exciting: playoff time.

This year, everyone is still gunning for the Bulls, but the rest of field is filled with possible contenders and intriguing matchups. Let's start with the Eastern Conference, where the winning percentages are inflated and the expectations are low... unless you're the Bulls.

Bullets vs. Bulls: Chicago suffered a mere 13 losses to 12 different teams on the year (they lost twice to Miami), but one of those losses was to Washington. The Bullets undeniably have the talent to go much further than their eight seed would indicate. With Juwan Howard and Chris Webber both playing some of the best basketball of their careers over the past few weeks and big Gheorghe Muresan plugging up the middle on defense, the Bullets could thrive in the physical, half-court game of the playoffs. The key, however, will be the play of point guard Rod Strickland.

All that said-this is the Bulls. Unless Dennis Rodman experiences a psychotic episode in the locker room and maims his teammates, Chicago will take the series in no less than four games.

Magic vs. Heat: The Sunshine State series features the battle of the Hardaways. Penny has been good this year, but he hasn't really taken his game to the next level since Shaq's departure. Tim has been nothing short of amazing wire-to-wire for the Heat and he has proven that he is once again one of the NBA's elite point guards.

Considering the nature of playoff basketball, the series may very well come down to the play in the post of Miami's Alonzo Mourning and the Magic's Rony Seikaly. After being out part of the year with an injury, Zo has returned to be Miami's rock in the middle. Seikaly is no slouch, however. His quickness and ability to recognize the double team should make him the Magic's first option on offense throughout the series.

The difference here is Pat Riley. Without him, the Heat are not a 60-win team. With him, they beat the Magic in four.

Hornets vs. Knicks: Now we get to find out who really got the better half of the Anthony Mason-Larry Johnson trade. On the surface, the Knicks looked like they stole an all-star. As it turns out, the Knicks are no better off than they were a year ago and the Hornets have recorded their best record in franchise history, led by the all-around game of Mason. The Hornets have succeeded because they have embraced the tough physical play of Mason and rookie coach Dave Cowens-a style that historically thrives in the playoffs.

The Knicks have a big upside down low with the highly motivated Patrick Ewing and always tough Charles Oakley, but their perimeter game may spell their demise. While Chris Childs has tried his best to carry the backcourt, Alan Houston and the Knick reserves have done their best, it seems, to deter his efforts.

Mason exacts his revenge as the Hornets close it out at home in the Queen City in four.

Pistons vs. Hawks: It's hard to beat this matchup for pure competition. Grant Hill seemed to be making a habit of triple-doubles as the season wound down and put the team on his shoulders from day one this year. To hang with the Hawks, Detroit will need Hill to play like the superstar that he is in every game, and maybe even be a little selfish with the ball.

The Hawks are designed to succeed in the playoffs, starting with defensive stalwart Dikembe Mutumbo in the middle. Christian Laettner gives Atlanta a multidimensional scorer in the post and Steve Smith is the least talked-about star in the NBA. Point guard Mookie Blaylock, the NBA leader in steals, will put plenty of pressure on the ball.

Hill is on a tear, having scored a career-high 38 points to close out the regular season, but the Hawks won 13 of their last 17. Atlanta in five.

As for further down the road, the Bulls should cruise to the conference finals, where they will meet up with the Heat. If anyone can give these guys a scare, it is Pat Riley. If the NBA had let him keep Juwan Howard, Miami may have been on its way to the finals. As it stands, you've got to be a fool to bet against Michael and his boys: the Bulls represent once again.

Now on to the Western Conference, where a winning record is not a prerequisite and nobody respects the top seed.

Clippers vs. Jazz: No one may expect the Jazz to go all the way, but no one believes Utah could lose their opening round series. The Clippers are in the playoffs for the first time since Larry Brown took them there in 1992, but it is basically by virtue of no one else wanting that eighth spot. Rodney Rogers and Charles Outlaw should put up a fight, but the championship-starved Jazz are not about to allow their train to be derailed by the Clippers.

Stockton and Malone crush the Clips in three.

Suns vs. Sonics: The Suns have won 16 of their last 20, including two wins over Seattle in the past month. Phoenix is revitalized with Jason Kidd at the point and Kevin Johnson at off guard. The Sonics backed into the Pacific Division championship with L.A.'s loss on Sunday. Their best player, forward Shawn Kemp, has been the league's most noteworthy malcontent over the last month.

So, Phoenix in three, right? Wrong. The Sonics have Gary Payton, Hersey Hawkins and a healthy Detlef Schrempf, and Kemp actually got his game together over the last three games of the regular season. The playoffs are a whole new season, and after gaining the top seed in the West several times before, the Sonics now realize all that matters is the postseason. So who can blame them for their lack of interest in the regular season?

Phoenix is tough, but the battle-tested Sonics emerge victorious in five.

Timberwolves vs. Rockets: The best young trio in the league takes on the most seasoned trio as the T'wolves' young pups-Kevin Garnett, Tom Gugliotta and Stephon Marbury-battle the Rockets' championship-hungry veterans-Hakeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler and Charles Barkley. Marbury has added stability and direction to the explosive T'wolves and improved their win total by 14 games from last year. Minnesota is one of the NBA's up-and-comers and should provide some exciting highlight reel material, but this is the Rockets' series. Sir Charles came to Houston just to win a championship and an expansion team is not going to stop him.

Trailblazers vs. Lakers: L.A. is back at full strength with Shaq back under the hoop, plus it appears as though he and forward Elden Campbell have finally learned to complement one another in the post. Eddie Jones is a suffocating defender and a highlight dunk waiting to happen.... The only problem is that the one player who shuts him down on offense and embarrasses him on defense is the Blazers' J.R. Rider. In leading Portland to a 3-1 record versus L.A. this year, Rider used his bulk advantage to out-muscle Jones.

'Beat L.A.' cheers will once again reign down, but this time Shaq will dunk through the fouls and the free throws just won't matter. Lakers in five.

In the West, look for Seattle to battle with the Rockets for seven games, but come up short and bickering. Utah will see its dreams come crashing down once again as Shaq leads the Lakers to a conference showdown with the Rockets-just like the mid-80's. Sir Charles and Hakeem won't settle for anything less than a meeting with the Bulls, and that's what they'll get.

As far as the Finals go... Dennis and Charles will probably brawl at some point, Michael and Scottie will dominate the outside, Hakeem the inside. A classic showdown. This time it's Charles who gets to roll around with the ball and cry-Rockets win in seven.

Michael King is an engineering junior and sports editor of The Chronicle.

Share and discuss “NBA shifts into high gear with first round of playoffs” on social media.