Malone, Marbury highlight annual NBA accolades

This is the second in Michael King's two-part space filler on the NBA.

The NBA typically drags out the announcement of its awards, but unfortunately, I never had the patience to wait and hear what the official word is before bestowing my own honors. This year I have decided to share my views, ie: the facts, with everyone. So without further ado, here are his majesty's 1996-97 NBA Awards.

Most Valuable Player: Midway through this season I would have handed this awarded to the Pistons' Grant Hill in a heartbeat. Since the all-star break, Hill's play may actually have improved (see: his recent triple-double tear and a career-high 38 points on Sunday), but the Pistons have slid, losing 14 of their last 25 to close out the season. He is still the man and he is still the league's next great superstar, but the MVP goes to the player who contributes most, resulting in the most success for his team.

Did somebody say success? That has to mean the Bulls and their league-high 69 wins and Michael Jordan himself. Back as scoring champ once again and guiding Chicago through another dominating regular season, His Airness appears to be simply the best and a sure-fire winner....

Sorry M.J., this year's award is ear-marked for delivery to the Mailman. Karl Malone has led the Jazz to their first No. 1 seed in the West ever, while finishing second to Jordan in the scoring race. Utah won 31 of its last 35 games to claim that top spot with Malone topping the box scores and the highlight reels the whole way. Jordan makes it look too easy and even if Malone does get way too many calls, he's earned it.

Defensive Player of the Year: Atlanta's Mookie Blaylock gets serious consideration after leading the league in steals this year, but his teammate, center Dikembe Mutumbo, is actually the best defender on the Hawks. His presence in the middle lowers opponents' field goal percentages and makes it possible for Blaylock and the Hawk guards to apply so much pressure.

In this stat-driven era, let us not forget the value of good, hard-nosed defense night in and night out-guys like John Stockton who relentlessly pressure, the ball, Seattle's Hersey Hawkins, who spends 40 minutes a game trapping, recovering and denying the ball to lethal shooting guards and the Hornets' Anthony Mason, who uses his brute force to eliminate the man he is defending from the flow of the offense.

Still, it comes down to who creates the most for their team with their defense and that is still the Sonics' Gary Payton. The Glove slows opposing offenses with his pressure on the ball and creates a plethora of easy baskets for Seattle by forcing steals. By the way, did I mention he's my favorite player?

Rookie of the Year: I thought Kerry Kittles would be no better than marginal.... My deepest apologies to the NBA's most durable and surprising rookie. And the Grizzlies' Shareef Abdur-Rahim has improved throughout the regular season and promises to be a solid pro for years to come.

For the solution to this question, perhaps 'The Answer' is the answer. Philadelphia's Allen Iverson ranks first in rookie scoring and assists and makes the highlights on Sportscenter just about every night. He also ranks first in turnovers and veterans offended.

In my mind, Iverson didn't lose this award as much as the Timberwolves' Stephon Marbury won it. Minnesota has won an impressive 14 games more than a year ago and is on its way to the playoffs for the first time ever, thanks largely to the play of Marbury.

Coach of the Year: Detroit's Doug Collins was the early favorite (see Hill's MVP resume above for explanations as to why Collins is out). Certainly give some credit to the T'Wolves' Flip Saunders for their dramatic turnaround as well.

Charlotte's Dave Cowens has been superb in his first season, taking a team with low expectations and leading it to the best record in franchise history.

My winner, however, has to be the Heat's Pat Riley. 60 wins? With that team? With Alonzo Mourning out for 10 games? I've always thought he knew his stuff, now I think the man is a genius. With him, the Mavs would win 50 games.

Best Sixth Man: Toni Kukoc? He's been injured too much this year. For lack of a better choice-the Knicks' John Starks. Starks has been a savior at times for New York this year, especially in adjusting to his role coming off the bench.

Most Improved Player: The Blazers' Rasheed Wallace has blossomed the season, taking over a number of games during Portland's second half of the year tear. The Heat's Isaac Austin has been an unexpected surprise for Riley, especially filling in for Mourning. Teammate Veshon Lenard has found his stroke in the tropics this year. The Spurs' Cory Alexander was much better, but is still a year away.

My choice: Detroit's Lindsey Hunter. He has gone from 8.5 points a game to 14.2 and has been on the court 10 more minutes per game in picking up the slack left by the departure of Alan Houston.

Coolest Under Pressure: P.J. Carlesimo, Portland. Management let it be known in February that they would fire P.J. after the Blazers' next loss. Portland put a damper on those plans by reeling of 11 straight wins. Now that's pressure coaching.

Coolest Old Guy: Byron Scott, Lakers. He's back in L.A., steadying the Lakers' young guns and reminding the stars in the stands of the glory days. And oh yeah, he exploded to the hoop for a monster tomahawk jam in the face of a Portland defender Sunday afternoon.

Most Frustrating Team: The Cleveland Cavaliers. They say they play good defense. Red Auerbach says they just hold the basketball. Red is right.

Still Most Infuriating Announcer: Bill Walton, NBC. Could any on-air personality possibly say more stupid things, backed up by an unmatched arrogance?

Michael King is an Engineering junior and sports editor of The Chronicle. He promises not to write about the NBA again tomorrow.

Share and discuss “Malone, Marbury highlight annual NBA accolades” on social media.