Men's hoops exits early from NCAAs

CHARLOTTE - After a season filled with endless promise, the men's basketball team's run through the NCAA Tournament came to a stunning halt last Sunday as 10th-seeded Providence upset the Blue Devils, 98-87, in a second-round game.

The Friars picked up where many of Duke's opponents throughout the latter portion of the season have left off, dominating the Blue Devils (24-9) in the paint, outrebounding Duke by a 43-24 margin, and notching a number of easy baskets inside, including 20 second-chance points. Senior Derrick Brown led the charge for Providence with a career high 33 points and 10 rebounds, including six offensive boards.

"When I saw a kid like Brown play well, I appreciate it because it takes that type of effort to beat a really good effort from our team," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "We didn't overlook him-he was a point of emphasis. That is how well he played. We were trying to stop him and block him out. Brown was just everywhere."

Brown keyed two second half spurts for the Friars that helped them to gain a lead and then put the game away late. The first Providence run began three minutes into the second half with the Friars trailing 53-46. Brown converted two sets of free throws to bring the Friars within three when senior forward Austin Croshere, who scored 39 in their 81-59 opening round win over Marquette, picked up his fourth foul on a charge into Duke junior guard Steve Wojciechowski.

After Croshere picked up his fourth, the Friars were forced to go to a smaller lineup. Duke freshman Mike Chappell hit a jumper to restore the Duke lead to five, but the Friars then ran off nine straight points, including a Brown layup off an offensive rebound and two three pointers, to give Providence a 59-54 lead.

"We just had a small group in," Providence coach Pete Gillen said. "We had a kamikaze group in, our Lilliputians. They just fought through. I was stunned that we were effective with that small team without Austin in the game."

The game seesawed back and forth for the next few minutes until senior guard Jeff Capel checked back in for the Blue Devils. Capel, who finished the day with 26 points on 9-of-13 shooting, scored the next 10 Duke points to cut the Providence lead from seven to two. A layup by freshman forward Chris Carrawell then tied the game at 74 with 5:33 remaining. Much of this run occurred despite the absence of junior forward Roshown McLeod, who fouled out with 9:08 remaining, finishing the day with 15 points and as one of Duke's only inside presences.

As soon as the Blue Devils had completed their run, Providence was back with a run of its own. Croshere, playing with four fouls, hit a running bank shot, then Brown scored on a layup off an inside pass from Jamel Thomas to increase Providence's lead to four.

On Duke's next trip down the court, the ball got away from Capel as he was driving in the lane, and Providence guard God Shammgod took it the other way for a layup and foul by Capel. Shammgod converted the three-point play to increase Providence's lead to seven.

Shammgod fouled Capel on the other end, and Capel converted 1-of-2 free throws to stop the 7-0 Friar run. However, the Friars quickly picked up where they had left off, as Thomas beat the Duke press for a layup, then found Brown underneath on another inside pass to give Providence an insurmountable 10-point lead with 2:48 remaining. The Blue Devils tried desperately to reduce their deficit, but a pair of easy Providence dunks and 7-of-8 free throw shooting late iced the game for the Friars.

"I thought we played a little more desperate for success in the second half," Gillen said. "In the first half, we weren't sure. But as the game went on, we sensed something and grabbed it."

As much as the second half was keyed by runs, the first period was highlighted by Brown's play, Duke foul shooting and Duke defense. The Blue Devils jumped out to an early 21-14 lead behind eight points by McLeod and seven Providence turnovers, forced by Duke's pestering defense.

The Friars quickly came back, settling down both offensively and defensively. Brown keyed Providence's comeback, scoring 10 straight points, including two on a putback and a three from the corner that gave the Friars a two-point lead.

The Blue Devils managed to withstand Brown's barrage, as Wojciechowski, Capel and sophomore guard Trajan Langdon all hit threes. Duke also hit 14-of-15 free throws in the half to garner a 46-42 lead at the intermission.

The loss marked the end of a long and arduous year for the Blue Devils. After a seven-game winning streak during the heart of the Atlantic Coast Conference season, the Blue Devils fell short in the end, losing two of their last three regular season games, the opening round of the ACC Tournament and falling to Providence after a subpar 71-68 opening round win against Murray State.

The Providence game also marked the end of the road for Duke's senior class of Greg Newton, Carmen Wallace and Capel. Wallace was unable to play in the season finale due to an injury. Newton was buried on the bench after a midseason shift to a smaller lineup cut his minutes. The lack of playing time was frustrating for Newton, particularly in light of the team's struggles inside.

"It's one of those things where coach made a decision that other people are playing better than I was," Newton said. "As soon as we went to the smaller lineup against Wake Forest, it kind of stuck. I went out two weeks later with a back injury and fell behind. My conditioning kind of slipped and everything else. Coach just felt other guys were playing better."

For Capel, the Providence game marked the end of his storied Duke career. From a leading role for the Duke team that made the national championship game his freshman year to disappointing team play his sophomore and junior years to a slow start his senior year to almost single-handedly carrying the team through its final games this year, Capel truly experienced it all during his four years in a Duke uniform.

"Everyone that has been in this program or affiliated with this program, I feel that they are a part of my family," Capel said. "Especially the guys that are in practice every day, in the locker room, and in the games, and that includes the coaching staff and everyone. It hurts to even think about this. Not being able to ever wear a Duke uniform again-I don't even want to take it off.

"I couldn't have accomplished anything without my teammates or [Krzyzewski]. I have had so many people that have been on my side. They have always had my back, in good times and in bad times. I don't know what else to say."

Share and discuss “Men's hoops exits early from NCAAs” on social media.