DSG presidential hopefuls confront student questions

Candidates for Duke Student Government president challenged one another-and were, in turn, challenged by an audience of about 50 students-for the first time Monday night at a forum in Zener Auditorium hosted by the Intercommunity Council.

The six presidential candidates in alphabetical order fielded a question from the preceding candidate, delivered their speeches and then took questions from the audience. After the presidential forum, the candidates for each vice presidential office addressed the audience using the same format. The forum differed from previous meetings because it was open to the entire student body rather than a specific student group or organization.

"Our intention is to inform voters," said Trinity sophomore Hillary Holmes, the Panhellenic Council's representative to the ICC, on ICC's role in planning the forum. "It's also important that students tell others about the ideas they hear here."

The evening's forum provided those in attendance with the opportunity to confront the candidates about their records, platforms and campaign tactics. Moments of visible tension arose throughout the evening, particularly when audience members exposed perceived discrepancies in the candidates' positions.

The most heated exchange occurred during Trinity junior Dan Segal's presentation when audience members voiced concerns that he exaggerated his role in recent campus initiatives, specifically the extended Perkins Library hours and the establishment of Chinese food on points.

"Chinese food in the [University Room] was not my idea, but I think I helped bring it to the consciousness and helped spur it along," Segal said. "I don't think it would have been an issue had I not been babbling about it last year and writing letters to the editor." He also said that extended library hours were not his idea, but added that he had spoken with David Ferriero, University librarian, about the proposal.

Later in the forum, Segal found himself on the defensive again, this time regarding a proposed West Campus board meal plan similar to East Campus' Marketplace. Joe Pietrantoni, associate vice president for auxiliary services, said in an interview immediately before the forum that although future changes to West dining facilities are under consideration, "there are no plans for [a board meal plan] of any kind." Responding to suggestions that he is using scare tactics on the issue to sway voters, Segal admitted, "Yes it's a scare tactic-because I'm scared." He went on to say that he doubts the veracity of Pietrantoni's promise.

Pointed questions about platform items also surfaced during Trinity junior Jamin Dixon's session.

Dixon continued to emphasize one of his principal campaign objectives: the construction of a West Campus recreational facility near Card Gym. When informed that the Board of Trustees approved the $20 million construction budget for the already-proposed facility at its meeting this weekend, Dixon then expressed the need for a definitive timeline for the project. When told that the trustees approved a plan to begin construction in May, Dixon emphasized that, "We need to ensure they follow through with the entire process, that it does happen."

Trinity junior Randy Kenna followed Dixon by outlining his feelings on the role of DSG and its interaction with alumni.

"The thing you have to understand is that DSG is primarily a lobbying organization," Kenna said. "We need to open a dialogue with the alums because they're the ones with the checkbooks."

Kenna also clarified his earlier assertions that he had left DSG to acquire an outside perspective on student government, saying that he was "a little disappointed" following a series of unsuccessful bids to rejoin the organization.

Nevertheless, he said, his work as co-chair of the Student Health Advisory Committee proves that "you don't have to be involved in DSG to achieve a lot."

Also touting his leadership experience outside of DSG, Trinity junior Lino Marrero stressed that his experiences with a cross-section of groups on campus more than compensates for his lack of DSG experience.

"The most important quality in a DSG president is somebody who has a good working relationship with everybody," Marrero said.

Trinity junior Chris Lam responded to skepticism about his ability to represent equally greek and independent students due to his role as co-founder of the Independent Students Association. Lam explained that a major part of his platform involves putting "residential equity back on the table," which he said should not be perceived as favoritism toward any particular students.

Lam also answered questions about the effectiveness of Safe Walks and shuttles to South Square Mall, programs that he worked to institute but that fell short of expectations or folded due to a lack of student use."It's a valid observation, not a valid criticism," he said, noting that DSG successfully organized the programs but did not anticipate the dearth of student interest.

Only Trinity junior Trang Nguyen enjoyed a question-and-answer period free of significant scrutiny, using the bulk of her time to reassert the themes of her campaign-among them the need for student activism and the breadth of her DSG experience.

The presidential candidates were followed by vice presidential candidates, who discussed issues such as the role of students in the tenure process, the achievement index and study abroad fees.

Audience members said they appreciated the town hall format, which allowed for more direct engagement with the candidates on substantive issues.

"Questions are obviously something that speeches don't allow," said Trinity junior Kirsten Marsh, president of the Panhellenic Council. "People can go through their speeches, but until they're challenged, I feel we're not able to see if they can fulfill their promises."

Amanda Picha contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “DSG presidential hopefuls confront student questions” on social media.