Global communication forsakes personal element

It is ironic that our technologically advanced society is striving to expand our lines our communication globally-allowing millions of strangers to communicate instantly via e-mail, satellite, etc.-when the breakdown of communication occurs so easily in face-to-face personal relationships.

Perhaps the most pertinent aspect of communication in today's world is making sure that there is plenty of it. Typically, when there is an absence or breakdown of communication between people-no matter how well they know each other-things tend to unwind, often causing some bizarre chains of events to occur. Too many times have I overreacted in a given situation, always assuming the worst, simply because I failed to acquire enough information on what was happening. The ensuing melodrama could have easily been avoided had I slowed down and taken the time to communicate.

If you take this example one step further-perhaps on a more global level-imagine the types of disasters could result from failing to send even the most simple message across the wire. There is often a fine line between military aggression and protection in many parts of the world, and there could be drastic consequences-involving human lives-if a failure of communication arises.

Communication is a key component for accomplishing any task-both menial and important. For instance, when my mother wanted me to clean up my room when I was younger, she would simply say, "Clean up your pig sty, honey, or you won't go out this weekend." Recognizing that her threat was not an idle one, I would comply with her request and thus she got a clean room and I got to go out.

Now imagine that she hadn't informed me of the consequences of not cleaning my room, and as I was walking out the door, she told me I couldn't leave because my room wasn't clean. Because her sentiments had not been made clear prior to that particular moment, a fight would have surely ensued, I would have gotten into more trouble and then Dad would have gotten involved-bad idea. Thanks to effective communication, my social life remained intact and so did my rear end.

Simple communication can reap great rewards; conversely, simple miscommunication can reap absolute havoc. Now that we have the ability to communicate with people all over the world through a network of technology, these consequences are magnified tremendously. That is precisely why we must strive to improve our personal communication before we attempt to unify the world citizenry through the information superhighway.

Take for example the concept of taking classes via satellite from another university. In theory, this would offer a number of opportunities for students to glean different perspectives on a variety of different issues. The practical problem, however, is that students and professors have yet to learn how to communicate in the proverbial classroom. Once this essential bridge has been built between students and teachers, then by all means, let the age of the cyber-classroom begin.

Furthermore, I don't see the point of attempting to solve problems internationally, when we are still inept at solving them on a domestic level. I'm not talking about complex political issues either-like education and welfare-I'm talking more along the lines of minor institutional adjustments.

Let's say that an administrator wants to restructure University dining services. She believes that her system will add more variety to the choices currently available and will also save the university quite a bit of money. Unfortunately, this administrator is a bad communicator and fails to delineate clearly her well thought out plan, thereby confusing and aggravating students who think that the status quo is adequate. Thus, what may be an intelligent solution that may actually work, has instead turned out to be the focus of student hatred and discontent, simply because the plan was not communicated to those whom it will effect the most in a tactful, thoughtful manner.

Tact-perhaps the most important component of communication-is crucial to successful and constructive interaction between peers, especially when these peers are thousands of miles away. Working for an organization in which departmental communication is critical for solid, daily production, I have come to realize just how important tact can be-especially when offering criticism. What could initially be regarded as productive may very well be destructive if not portrayed in the proper light, which can be tough if the computer terminal is your only interface.

If delegated in a positive, helpful fashion, criticism can lead to vast improvements; if offered in a negative, blameful manner, such criticism can and will breed resentment. The worst occasion, however, comes when there is criticism to be offered but it is instead passed around the office or internalized, thereby projecting the attitude than someone is too incompetent to handle such advice.

Without a doubt, the expansion of communications technology worldwide will provide numerous benefits, but in creating long-distance relationships, we must prevent ourselves from forgetting the art of conversation as it has always been practiced: face-to-face.

Rod Feuer is a Trinity sophomore and city & state editor of The Chronicle.

Share and discuss “Global communication forsakes personal element” on social media.