Depth keys run towards title for No. 3 women's tennis

Even Charles Dickens' Pip would have to agree that the women's tennis team has great expectations. Coming off their ninth Atlantic Coast Conference Championship and an NCAA Final Four appearance last year, there aren't many obstacles the Blue Devils can't overcome.

Duke is currently ranked No. 3 in the nation, but with all six starters returning this year and having added the top freshman in the nation, the Blue Devils look primed for a run at No. 1.

"It's a continual climb to No. 1, which is what we want to do," coach Jody Hyden said. "We have the best shot to make a run at No. 1 as we've ever had, but we're going to have to work extremely hard to make that happen."

Also standing in Duke's place at the top is Florida, starting the season ranked No. 1 in the country. Florida defeated Duke twice last season on its way to winning the NCAA Championship, but this year Duke is hungry for Gator meat.

"Watching UF win [the NCAA Championship] and Stanford kind of rub it in our faces when they beat us-it drives you," sophomore Vanessa Webb said. "Now we're in a war and we want to win it so bad for the school. [Stanford's] excitement as they came screaming and laughing off the court was difficult to watch when we had just lost. We want to work to make sure it doesn't happen again."

All eight members of last year's record-setting team return this year, joined by three rookies, including the top high school recruit in the country. Freshman Karin Miller comes to Duke after securing a professional Women's Tennis Association ranking of 153. After playing for herself, Miller looks forward to the team aspect of playing for Duke.

"I bring character to the team-I'm a character on the court," she said. "I am very competitive and I fight for every point. I know the team situation and how to play for the team. I hope we can win [the National Championship] and I'm going to try my best to help us win it."

Miller is accustomed to tough tournament play after her experience on the professional circuit. But she looks forward to making the transition to Duke and seeing how the Blue Devils cooperate as a team. Helping her make this transition is one of the leaders of this team, Vanessa Webb, who was honored as an All-American last season. Webb further proved her All-American status this fall when she won the Riviera All-American, one of college tennis' Grand Slam events.

"The All-American was very important to me because I had never won a big one," she said. "I think I gained respect with that win that I didn't have before."

Webb certainly has earned her share of respect this year. Coming in with the No. 1 ranking, Webb sets the standard for the Blue Devils' lineup.

"Vanessa is an important asset to the team with her attitude and approach to the game," senior Diana Spadea said. "Not just on the court, but always, she is very, very focused."

The object of Webb's focus is retaining her No. 1 position at the end of the season. With top players always in contention for the No. 1 position, Webb will have to prove herself this season.

"My individual goal is to be No. 1 in the NCAA at the end of the year, and that really pushes me," Webb said. "I would be so proud to stay on top, but my first priority is the team."

In team tennis, all six singles and three doubles spots gain one point for a win. Therefore, the Blue Devils need more than the No. 1 player in the country to make their run for the NCAA title.

"If the team feels our No. 1 player is good and she can win, it helps the confidence of the whole team," Hyden said. "But when we realize that No. 2 through No. 6 can also win every time, it takes the pressure off the whole team. We have both going for us, so it says a lot for the depth of our program since we don't feel that it's the end of the world if we lose a match because of the other players we have."

Duke's depth comes from the talent battling to play the third through sixth position. Sophomore Kristin Sanderson ended the season last year ranked No. 81 in the country and earning All-ACC honors. She will probably move to the No. 3 position for the Blue Devils this year.

Senior Wendy Fix also had an impressive season last year, winning 29 matches at the No. 4, 5 and 6 positions. She has teamed up in doubles both with Laura Zifer and Diana Spadea this fall and she continues to increase her winning record.

The doubles team of Fix and Zifer finished the season last year ranked No. 23 in the country, competing at both the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles positions. In addition, Zifer won 21 singles matches last season, including a win against Florida. She also was named the ACC Tournament MVP.

"All of us are ready for this season," Spadea said. "We expect to be contenders in May, not just pick up third place like last year. Everyone is excited, and we have more experience with everyone back and used to each other. We definitely feel that this is the year to [be No. 1]."

Although the Blue Devils should have little difficulty adding double digits to their ACC Championship record, winning their regular season matches is the only thing they will concentrate on for the time being. The run for No. 1 will remain in the back of their minds while converting all of their current energy to the match at hand.

"Our first priority has to be whatever match is coming up," Hyden said. "Our top concern is the ACC Tournament. We'll worry about No. 1 and Florida down the road."

Although Florida and Stanford remain the teams to beat, Duke feels this is the season for them to take more than the ACC Championship-they want it all.

"Last year we were all happy [getting to No. 3]," Diana Spadea said. "We wanted to prove we were one of the top three teams. Now we know that, and we want to take it to the next level."

Dan Cohen contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “Depth keys run towards title for No. 3 women's tennis” on social media.