Swimming battles Georgia schools

Both the men's and women's teams swimming came back from their trip to Florida with more than just tans. They developed the stamina they needed to help them prevail in their longer races.

The women's team (2-5) defeated Georgia Southern 149-99 Saturday, thanks to its prowess in the 1,000 free, 500 free and 400 IM races.

"We swam great in the longer races," Duke coach Bob Thompson said. "Coming back from Florida, where we did a lot of conditioning, we were able to show our depth in the longer races with wins in both the men's and women's 1,000 free."

The men's team (3-6) competed in a double dual meet Saturday against both Georgia Tech and Georgia Southern. Swimmers from all three teams competed at the same time, but their individual scores were only measured against one school at a time. This resulted in lower scores, because the scoring system had to be modified in order to adapt to the double dual format. As a result, the Blue Devils weren't able to show their depth in both match ups, and their 63-50 win over Georgia Tech was tainted by a 59-56 loss to Georgia Southern.

"Our boys competed real hard, but they just weren't ready to compete in this kind of a meet," Thompson said. "It was a great meet, competition-wise. We were just a little too slow on the sprints, because we were tired from the long swims we were used to. But it came down to the last relay, and it was a close finish."

Duke managed to keep the score close in the Georgia Southern meet despite only winning three events, including the relay. Sophomore Sean Feeney won the 1,000 free in 10:02.41, while sophomore Chris Wise won the 500 free in 4:46.56 after placing in a tough 400 IM.

"I had really good swims," Wise said. "The 400 IM was one of my best dual meet times ever. Then I had to go into the 500 free knowing that I had a guy coming up behind me in the second heat who was really good. So, I just swam my hardest, knowing he would be coming after and I ended with my best time of the season."

The women's victory over Georgia Southern came courtesy of sophomore Jill Spitzfaden's wins in both the 200 free and 500 free. Thompson looks to Spitzfaden as a great performer for the team, and was pleased, but not surprised by her double victory.

"We all did pretty well against Georgia Southern," Spitzfaden said. "We had the base to do well after all the training we did in Florida. I knew if I was competitive I would have a good swim, and I did."

Adding to Duke's lead, freshman Megan Kavanaugh won the 400 IM in 4:43.76, while classmate Catherine Preston won the 1,000 free in 10:41.74. Saturday's win was just the second of the season for the women, but it cames at a good time to boost their confidence in the last couple of meets leading up to the Atlantic Coast Conference Championships.

With the ACC meet just four weeks away, the swim team will be working on its turns and speed work. With the long work they've put in already, the swimmers feel they are in shape to do well.

"We've trained so hard that we have the base to do really well," Spitzfaden said. "It's just a matter of doing the right things between now and then, and going out there with a good attitude."

Share and discuss “Swimming battles Georgia schools” on social media.