Congressman visits University

As part of his week long tour of North Carolina's second congressional district, which includes the University's West Campus, U.S. Congressman Bob Etheridge met with University administrators Wednesday to discuss a variety of issues related to health care and higher education.

Etheridge, the state's former superintendent of public education, said the purpose of his visit to the University was to gain a better understanding of the district's needs and, more importantly, to identify the resources he can utilize to have a more significant impact in Washington.

Etheridge spent much of his time on campus with administrators at the Medical Center discussing issues of research funding and changes in the health care industry.

Gordon Hammes, vice chancellor of Medical Center academic affairs, said his discussion with the congressman focused on the status of academic health centers, managed care and federal programs such as Medicare and Medicaid.

The major issues that academic hospitals are facing right now, Hammes said, are contingent upon the outcome of managed care in the health care industry and its resulting effects on training and research missions.

During his talk with Hammes and Dr. Ralph Snyderman, chancellor of health affairs and dean of the medical school, Etheridge said that he recognized the importance of consistent support for academic hospitals.

"We have to make sure we balance the budget with balance," he said. "And by that I mean we treat all folks fairly and that we make sure in the process... that we're providing educational opportunities for all of the students who want to increase their education opportunities at institutions of higher learning." At the same time, Etheridge added, we must be sure to protect health care programs for senior citizens and other constituencies.

Etheridge also had time to discuss a multitude of issues surrounding educational finance with James Belvin, director of undergraduate financial aid. Among the issues the pair discussed were Title IV funds, a type of funding which includes Perkins loans, college work-study programs and supplemental grants.

Belvin said that he was also able to discuss two of President Bill Clinton's new education funding plans: tax credit incentives and merit scholarships. The two also talked about the Federal Family Education Loan Program, which provides loans from the Department of Education, banks and other private institutions to students and their families. Currently, Belvin said, private organizations provide cheaper loans than the federal government-a situation he hopes to see changed.

Etheridge said that the federal government only funds 7 percent of the nation's educational needs, and he acknowledged that the future well-being of school systems will require consistent levels of funding.

He added that Congress can help provide educational technology both for school systems that may already have the resources to fund such initiatives and to those unable to afford it.

John Burness, senior vice president for public affairs, said that his discussion with Etheridge covered a wide range of issues-including long-term investments in university research and human capital.

Burness said that Etheridge was positive about his relationship with the University, adding that the congressman showed interest in "calling upon the expertise of our faculty" to receive advice about academic and medical issues discussed in Congress.

"It is clear that the Congressman has a pretty broad understanding of this institution and understands its issues," Burness said.

Share and discuss “Congressman visits University” on social media.