ACC slate hits full swing for Blue Devils over break

Winter break will give the women's basketball team the opportunity to start fresh after a series of disappointing outings.

Although the No. 17 Blue Devils have an impressive 7-1 record, they have been on a slight downturn of late. They were unable to top then-No. 6 Old Dominion on Dec. 7 and, in its last game, Duke struggled to a 74-65 win over Georgia Tech.

Eager to rebound from the game against Tech, the Blue Devils waste no time getting started. Duke faces Manhattan at home on Dec. 21, immediately following the end of final exams.

Duke continues to face important non-conference opponents the following week in the Atlantic Coast Conference Big Four Classic in Greensboro on Dec. 28 and 29. The Classic gives Duke the opportunity to show that it can win against tough foes from the Atlantic 10 in George Washington and the Big East in Rutgers. In a few months, such non-conference games will be important in the seeding for the NCAA Tournament.

The Blue Devils play their only ranked opponent over break on Jan. 6, against No. 14 Virginia in Charlottesville. Slowing down Cavalier All-America candidate guard Tora Sober will be key for a Blue Devil victory. In many ways, the teams are similar, and the Cavaliers (4-2) will truly test the Blue Devils.

"They're also a young team, and have inexperienced players," senior guard Kira Orr said.

Duke will gain some experience for its winter break games with the return of senior co-captain Tye Hall. After last year's selection to the All-ACC second team, Hall has been out all season with a stress fracture in her pelvic bone. She is expected to return either against Manhattan or in the ACC Big Four Classic.

Virginia is the second in a string of ACC contests for Duke, as it plays Wake Forest at home on Jan. 9 and then Maryland and N.C. State on the road. The Blue Devils will be hoping to get off to a fast start in the always-tough ACC with some early wins.

"The conference is so well balanced, every game is key," Orr said.

Share and discuss “ACC slate hits full swing for Blue Devils over break” on social media.