Football looks to build on lessons learned from 1996

One play in Saturday's game against North Carolina typified much of the season for the Duke football team.

The Blue Devils marched down the field on their first drive of the second half. Trailing 16-7, quarterback David Green put together a 70-yard drive that almost ended in a touchdown. After settling for a short field goal, Duke kicked the ball back to North Carolina. The Tar Heels opened their series with a nine-yard running play, but were facing third-and-14 from their own 20 after a botched snap on second down. It looked like momentum had clearly shifted in favor of the home team.

That changed on the very next snap. North Carolina quarterback Oscar Davenport dropped back to pass, and let a long throw go down the right sideline. Duke freshman cornerback Lamar Grant ran side by side with receiver L.C. Stevens, but got turned around as the ball was on its way. Stevens was able to catch the ball in stride and easily complete an 80-yard touchdown play.

"It was just a fundamental mistake on my part," Grant said. "I had the receiver against the sideline. I opened into him when I should have opened to the field to play the ball."

Duke attempted to battle back, but was never able to mount a serious threat to the North Carolina defense after falling behind by two touchdowns. It wasn't the first time this year that Duke coach Fred Goldsmith saw a valiant effort fall short due to one or two plays.

"[Our] football team probably deserved to win several games this year," Goldsmith said. "But that's the way it goes. We're not going to look back on this year."

This season may not be the focus as the team prepares for next year, but it won't be easy to forget completely. One player who may not be able to avoid looking back on the 1996 season is linebacker Billy Granville. Duke's only senior starter on defense played his usual inspired game on Saturday, getting involved in 12 tackles.

Granville has a unique perspective as he is one of the few players on defense that experienced Duke's trip to the Hall of Fame Bowl in 1994. As the heart of this year's squad, Granville reflected on what he could take from this season, as well as what his teammates learned from his leadership.

"It's just a blessing for me to be here at arguably the best school in the country and to play Division I football, regardless of the outcome, win lose, or draw," Granville said. "I have no regrets. I'm disappointed that we lost, but I'm happy with the way our team has fought.

"I feel by my work ethic and by my actions on and off the field, I tried to show [my teammates] what kind of commitment it takes to be a winner, to succeed at this level. I feel that I've showed them that."

The younger players will look back on their 1996 experience in a different way. Saturday's big play was just a part of a season long baptism by fire for Grant, and he's determined to learn from what transpired on the gridiron this year.

"We're going to come back next year," Grant said. "0-11's going to be staring us in the face all season. It's going to give us that extra oomph on bad days. This'll be motivation forever."

Any time a team goes winless for an entire season, it's the coach that takes much of the heat from fans. Goldsmith acknowledged the pressure after the final game was over, but downplayed the effect it would have on him.

"We'll be talked about because of that record, but as far as I'm concerned, that doesn't bother me near as much as a lot of people think it will bother me," Goldsmith said. "Our players will be able to handle that, and we'll be a better football team next year."

Duke's coach brought a trying season to a close by outlining his own wish list for what he wanted his team to carry with them into the offseason.

"I want them to carry a fierce desire to improve together to be a great football team," Goldsmith said. "They've gained the confidence to know they can compete at this level. And they'll take the feeling of togetherness. When you've had a bad year like this, you've got to stick together."

If the Blue Devils can absorb the lessons of their coach and upperclassmen, there's a good chance more of the big plays next year will go their way.

Share and discuss “Football looks to build on lessons learned from 1996” on social media.