Field hockey garners top ACC honors

Three members of the field hockey team were recognized for their contributions to the team's success Wednesday as Liz Tchou was named Atlantic Coast Conference Coach of the Year, and Jodi Taylor and Cindy Breyer were named to the all-conference squad.

Tchou, in her first year at the helm, led the Blue Devils to an 11-8 overall record and a 3-5 mark in the ACC, good for a third-place tie. Impressive numbers considering Duke's tough non-conference schedule, not to mention the fact that the ACC is arguably the nation's toughest conference. She received the honor by way of voting by the five ACC coaches.

"I just feel honored to be a part of the ACC, because I thing it is the strongest conference, not only playing-wise, but also coaching-wise," Tchou said. "I totally respect the other coaches."

Tchou deflected praise for the award, instead citing the support of her assistants.

"Of course its my first year, but having Stacey Gilburg on the staff has been really great because we have such different personalities," Tchou said. "So I think we are able to give the kids a different look, as far as coaching style."

Tchou's success stemmed largely from the new perspective she brought to her team-that of a player. After playing on the U.S. Olympic team this summer, she incorporated those lessons into her coaching style. The players response to that style helped Duke rebound from a 1-7 conference mark last year.

"We would not have found so much success if [the players] hadn't been so open to my philosophy," Tchou said.

Taylor, a senior back, was named to the all-conference team for the second time after registering five goals on the season and anchoring the Blue Devils' midfield play and defense.

Breyer, a junior midfielder, made her first appearance on the team. She notched only four goals and one assist on the year, but her solid play keyed Duke's transition game.

"Cindy and Jodi have had great years and for them to be selected by the other ACC coaches is quite an honor," Tchou said.

One Blue Devil player who was omitted from the team was junior forward Melissa Panasci, who was by far Duke's leading scorer with 49 points, including 21 goals. She has also become the Blue Devils all-time leader in career points and goals in only three years and is only three goals away from breaking the ACC mark.

Tchou admitted she was surprised at Panasci's omission, and also made a case for freshman goalkeeper Brooke Fuller for Rookie of the Year, an award won by Virginia's Meredith Elwell.

"I think its nice to have recognized the All-ACC players," Tchou said. "There are a lot of other players who didn't make it, who are so skilled and competitive. There's absolutely nobody on our team that shouldn't feel they were a huge part of what Jodi and Cindy accomplished."

The Blue Devils take their award-winning act back to the field Friday as they face Wake Forest in the first round of the ACC Tournament, which is being held at Duke's East Campus Turf Field.

Joel Israel contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “Field hockey garners top ACC honors” on social media.