Students scramble to hear Coach K speak

Men's basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski spoke to an open gathering of students Wednesday night in The Marketplace on East Campus.

Approximately 300 students-most of them freshmen-jammed the dining area to get their first taste of Duke basketball. The meeting, which was arranged by Duke Student Government, included a 30-minute speech and a 20-minute question-and-answer session with Krzyzewski. Not even mid-term examinations could deter some students who attended the informal address with textbooks in hand. For many, it was the first chance to hear the coach speak.

"I've got a 10-page paper to write, but I came out anyway," Trinity freshman Andrew Price said. "I'm ecstatic about the upcoming season." Other students agreed, and despite the obvious signs of academic stress, Krzyzewski's talk was met with enthusiasm.

"It's like seeing a celebrity," Trinity freshman Amy Chen said. "I actually have tons of chemistry studying to do, but this was definitely worth it."

Krzyzewski stressed the importance of fan support for the Blue Devils and discussed time-honored Duke basketball traditions-from students camping out for home games to players slapping the floor on defense. He praised the fans at Cameron Indoor Stadium, calling them an extension of the team.

"You are actually the sixth man," Krzyzewski told the freshmen. "When it really gets going in Cameron, you've never seen anything like it. I get chills just thinking about it."

The meeting also included two short videos-a tribute to Cameron fans and a highlight film of last year's Blue Devil squad. Students were visibly excited, and even gave a loud ovation for the films.

"When I was watching the videos, I felt like I was really there," Chen said. "I got so pumped-I can't wait until the season starts."

On Tuesday, the Blue Devils began official practice with a brief one-hour morning session and a longer afternoon workout. In addition to his meeting with the students, Krzyzewski also held his first press conference of the season on Wednesday. Despite a hectic week, the coach remained energetic and humorous throughout the evening session. He answered several questions about the upcoming year, although he avoided making any predictions.

"We're going to have a real good team," said Krzyzewski. "You'll get addicted to [the Cameron atmosphere]. This team's going to be a hell of a defensive team, and defense leads to turnovers. Turnovers lead to fast breaks, and fast breaks lead to dunks and exciting play."

Krzyzewski noted that he was pleased with the first few practices of the season. He pointed to the return of guard Trajan Langdon, as well as the contributions expected from a talented freshman class, as positive early signs. Though he stopped short of announcing goals for this year's squad, he indicated to the students the direction he saw for the program.

"I hope during your four years here at Duke, you experience a Final Four [appearance in the NCAA Tournament]," Krzyzewski said. "It's something magical." Krzyzewski also talked about the intensity-and class-he expected from a Cameron crowd.

"In Cameron, you have the treasure of college basketball; it's absolutely the best place to watch a game," he said. "It's the only place where students have the best seats-but never sit down. We have some great traditions, but it's also time for some new traditions."

Students left Wednesday's meeting pleased-though some, like Price, left early to study. Krzyzewski invited all fans to attend the Blue Devil's lone open practice of the preseason, to be held on Oct. 25. The annual Blue-White Scrimmage will be held the following day, Oct. 26, at 6 p.m.

Share and discuss “Students scramble to hear Coach K speak” on social media.