Sister act takes center stage on Saturday

When the women's soccer team takes the field this weekend, there will be more at stake than just two games against non-conference opponents. Coach Bill Hempen's squad, unranked for the first time this year, faces two top-10 opponents in matches that could prove crucial for the Blue Devils' postseason chances.

"[These games] are really important for our desire to get an NCAA [Tournament] bid," Hempen said. "They can bring us back to life in the eyes of the NCAA."

The Blue Devils, with a record of 5-4-1 on the season, square off against No. 10 William & Mary tonight at 7 p.m. in the Duke Women's Soccer Classic. Saturday night,when the Blue Devils close out the Classic against No. 2 Notre Dame at 7 p.m., the game will feature a strange twist.

Duke freshman midfielder Kim Daws will see a familiar face on the other side of the field. Kim's sister Cindy, a senior midfielder for the Irish, is a three-time All-American who last year helped lead the Irish to their first-ever NCAA championship.

For the sisters, Saturday's meeting will be the first in a game situation, and both are excited.

"Obviously it's going to be a little weird," Cindy said. "We're very close. We'll be enemies on the field in that we'll be working towards opposite goals. But whatever happens on the field stays there. And after that we're sisters."

Playing against her older sister will be a thrill for Kim, who has never faced her sister in a regular game before.

"I've only played against her in a regional camp scrimmage," Kim said. "I was so excited to play her-I mean she's just awesome. I could sit and watch her play all day. Just trying to shut her down was so incredible."

There will be a considerably large Daws' cheering section both nights, with family and friends flying in from around the country for the weekend. Two sisters and two brothers, plus parents and friends, will make the trip to Duke Soccer Stadium to see the matchup.

"My mom is printing up t-shirts-I think they say 'Daws vs. Daws'-for the whole family," Kim said. "I can't wait to see my sister; I'm so pumped. My sister and I are best friends."

And who will the family be rooting for?

"They said they are going to root for whoever has the ball," Kim said.

But Cindy is not so certain.

"That's what they say, and they probably will... but I could see my dad rooting for Duke," Cindy said.

Both sisters play the central midfield position, so a one-on-one matchup is certainly a possibility. But it's not one that Hempen will particularly look for.

"Physically, they are as different as sisters can be," Hempen said, noting that at 5-8 Cindy is more of a physical player than her younger sister. "Cindy can be a dominating player in the air, while Kim's strengths are with the ball at her feet."

The fact that Kim will have the ball at her feet Saturday is a tribute to her feverish work this summer. The Blue Devil freshman has undergone rehabilitation three days a week-plus pool therapy once a week-for two to three hours a day since tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in her left knee in a club game last April.

Even after a summer of relentless training, Kim arrived at Duke uncertain of her status.

"I was considering redshirting, but my parents were always there supporting me," Kim said. "And I [said] 'I can't put all this work behind me and give up.' And my sister helped me a lot."

Cindy, who herself has suffered multiple foot injuries, knew what her sister faced.

"Actually, I was the one who took care of her right after her surgery because I was just home from school," Cindy said. "I was afraid she would rush it; I came back too quickly [from my foot injury], and eventually had to have surgery again. I'm so proud of her to be back in four months."

Hempen is proud, too-not to mention pleasantly surprised.

"Kim's real hard on herself," Hempen said. "She doesn't understand it's a minor miracle that she's out there in such a short time.

"Her future is very bright. If she doesn't become a starting midfield player for us, she certainly will be a major contributor."

Kim made her first appearance against Stanford on September 13, and has been slowly improving her rhythm-as well as her playing time.

The Blue Devils will certainly need Kim's help this weekend, but Hempen doesn't want the matchup with her sister to bear down on the young midfielder.

"I hope she realizes that this game is not going to rest on her shoulders," Hempen said. "These two games are really important for us, but I don't think there should be any pressure on Kim."

As for the sisters, they are just happy to see each other.

"I don't want it to get personal," Cindy said. "We'll each play our games-then we'll go out to dinner. It's going to be fun."

Share and discuss “Sister act takes center stage on Saturday” on social media.