Men's soccer sets sights on return to top of conference

The men's soccer team has not exactly had a storybook season of late, but the Blue Devils are looking to refocus and turn their season around at N.C. State on Sunday.

For Duke and the Wolfpack, there is a lot at stake in the matchup.

"It's a very important game for both teams," Duke coach John Rennie said. "We have one win in the conference, and they have two ties. It's a big win in the region and in the conference."

The Blue Devils (8-3, 1-2 in the Atlantic Coast Conference) gained the No. 1 ranking just one week into the season and were undefeated through the first three weeks. Duke began to slip, however, on September 29 with a loss against Maryland and proceeded to lose two out of its following three games.

Duke is hoping that the turnaround started on Wednesday, when it crushed UNC-Wilmington 6-0. The Blue Devils, now ranked 13th, are hoping to carry that momentum into Sunday's game in Raleigh.

Although N.C. State (5-3-2, 0-2-2 in the ACC) is winless in the conference, Duke is expecting a tough game.

"They play a fast-paced game, very physical." senior co-captain Brian Kelly said. "They're a quality team, and quite clearly underrated."

To overcome its recent losses, the Blue Devils are concentrating on finishing scoring opportunities and avoiding defensive breakdowns..

"We're just trying to mainly not give up goals to defensive mistakes, and to score more goals ourselves," Rennie said.

The recent losses have been largely due to a lack of concentration.

"We weren't focused in the last couple of games," sophomore midfielder Jay Heaps said. "We have to come out ready to play mentally and physically prepared."

One additional boost to the defense will be sophomore defender Evan Whitfield, who sat out Wednesday's game due to a red card received in the previous game.

"[Whitfield] provides a new dimension to the team," Kelly said. "Having him on the field is a great asset to us."

The Blue Devils showed they could score with their offensive outburst against UNC-Wilmington and are looking for a repeat of their offensive power against the Wolfpack.

"The UNC-Wilmington game was a good exhibition of how we can potentially play," Kelly said.

Three Duke players have received another boost. Kelly, along with Heaps and sophomore forward Josh Henderson, were selected as finalists for the prestigious Missouri Athletic Club Sports Foundation's Collegiate Soccer Player of the Year Award on Thursday. The award names the year's top college soccer player and will be presented January 10. Only 15 players in the country were nominated for the honor.

The Blue Devils face some tough competition coming down the homestretch, with six crucial games remaining on their schedule.

"We've put ourselves in a position where all the remaining games are important," Kelly said.

Duke returns home on Oct. 23, facing Wake Forest in another ACC contest.

Share and discuss “Men's soccer sets sights on return to top of conference” on social media.