Volleyball faces Texas, Colorado

The volleyball team looks to continue it's strong start this weekend as it faces national powers Colorado and Texas in Durham.

Last weekend, Duke (2-1) fought their way to a second place finish at the Gator Invitational in Gainesville, including a tight, five-game loss to the No. 11 Florida Gators.

Now the Blue Devils return home for the start of a tremendous stretch in which they play 13 of 14 matches in Durham. That is not all good news for Duke, however, as they face a number of nationally ranked teams.

The first test comes tonight, as the Blue Devils take on Colorado (1-1), ranked 22nd in the polls. In addition to the obvious anticipation associated with taking on a top-ranked opponent, junior setter Kristen Campbell has even extra reason to be excited-her sister will be on the other side of the net. Kelly Campbell is the starting setter for the Buffaloes.

"All summer we've had some good natured, competitive comments back and forth," Kristen said. "I'm familiar with most of their team and it is always fun to play with people you know. But there will definitely be some family rivalry there."

Saturday's opponent is even more ominous, as the third-ranked Longhorns of Texas (2-1) come to town. Texas returns all but two players from last year's squad, which finished second in the NCAA tournament. This year's lone loss came at the hands of No. 2 Stanford.

"Texas is ranked third so they will be the toughest team we play, but Colorado is also in the top 25," junior outside hitter Maureen Reindl said. "We're focused on being competitive every single play and not giving them a lot of points. Our focus is not on winning, even though we know we can-it's more to be competitive. Then if we do take care of every play then we'll end up winning, hopefully."

Heading into last weekend's tournament, very little was expected of the Blue Devils. Now, facing even greater competition, Duke hopes the same attitude that worked for them last weekend will be effective again.

"Against Florida we went in just wanting to play the way that we could, and this weekend will be much of the same attitude," Campbell said. "Last weekend we kind of surprised ourselves by taking the first two games, so that give us some more confidence going into this weekend."

Duke will be led by Reindl and freshman outside hitter Sarah Peifer, both of whom were named to the All-tournament team after pacing the Blue Devils in kills in all three matches.

Game time for both matches is 7:30 p.m. in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Share and discuss “Volleyball faces Texas, Colorado” on social media.