High school rivals become fast friends with Blue Devils

One of life's great ironies is when arch rivals end up playing alongside one another.

In high school, freshmen Sarah Peifer and Dominique Philipp squared off on opposite sides of the net. Peifer starred for Tampa Prep High School, where she was twice named second-team All-America. Philipp was a key component of the Berkeley Prep program, twice being named to the all-conference and all-county teams.

In Florida high school volleyball, there is no bigger rivalry than Berkeley-Tampa Prep. In 1995, Philipp's Berkeley squad captured the state title, beating Peifer and Tampa Prep twice along the way-including once in the state finals. Sweet revenge for Philipp after Tampa Prep had garnered the previous three state crowns.

Now the two are teammates, both playing vital roles in the building of the Duke volleyball program.

To characterize these two as former enemies is unfair. In fact, it couldn't be farther from the truth. They played as teammates in club competition for the last three years, where they built a solid friendship that transgressed any hostility that many have been associated with being rivals.

It is their play on that club team that first attracted the attention of Blue Devil head coach Linda Grensing.

"The way that I first saw them, the way that we typically do, was through club play," Grensing said. "They played on the same USVBA team, and that is where I got to know them."

Peifer was the first to commit to Duke, and Philipp was quick to follow.

"I respected Sarah both on and off the court," Philipp said. "[Fellow freshman] Jami Ediger was someone I respected as well. The academics are great, it has a coach I really like and players that I really respect."

Peifer was drawn to Duke during an early-season recruiting visit.

"I visited a year ago, and [Athletic Director Tom] Butters talked to me about how great the kids were," Peifer said. "I'm used to nice people, but these people were so nice."

Now that they are here at Duke, they have quickly become central players on the floor for the Blue Devils. Many people refer to the process of rebuilding the Duke volleyball program-one which put together a string of four consecutive Atlantic Coast Conference titles. Philipp and Peifer have a different view; with hardly any link left to those championship teams, they see themselves as part of a new beginning for the Blue Devils.

On the floor, they provide a good compliment to one another. While they both play outside hitter, their strengths are definitely not identical.

Peifer, who plays the left side predominately, is one of the team's terminators. Along with junior Maureen Reindl, she has been Duke's consistent leader in kills thus far this season. Her play was essential in the Gator Invitational in Gainesville where she was all over the floor-racking up impressive numbers in both digs and kills.

"Sarah is ball control and a huge hitting force for us," Philipp said.

Because of her versatility, Peifer is vital in making the Duke system work.

"Sarah is a ball control person," Grensing said. "She is important in terms of digging and passing and as a got-to when the system breaks down and we need someone to go to."

Philipp can finish as well, leading the team with 10 kills against Texas on Saturday, but her biggest strength is her blocking.

"Look at her arms first of all-see how long they are!" Peifer said. "She's a blocker."

Philipp's strong performance against the Longhorns was particularly impressive considering the high level of competition.

"Some of [Phillip's] strengths... she is a very composed kid," Grensing said. "No matter what the situation is, she maintains a real level of composure and confidence in herself, and she just performs-regardless of who is across the net."

Philipp saw limited action in Gainesville but has earned a large increase in floor time, as she played in all three games this weekend.

Despite being stars in their own right, Philipp and Peifer both still admire their own teammates-particularly Reindl and junior setter Kristen Campbell.

"I had never seen the team play before, so I had to rely on what Sarah told me," Philipp said. "She said that there are two people that really stand out. One the setter, she's really good, and two, Mo. She's a great leader on the court-she shows by example."

Peifer has an incredible finishing touch of her own, but she is still in awe of Reindl's technique and mystifying ability to "throw" balls down the line. Her power is something that would appear most impressive to everyone else, but she cannot help but want to emulate Reindl.

Peifer, who currently intends to pursue a business-related major, excelled at several other sports in high school, including soccer and track and field. In track, she finished as the state runner-up in the 400-meter dash. Soccer also produced some fond memories as she helped ruin current Tar Heel Robin Confer's senior season by eliminating her team in the state playoffs.

In addition to being a three-time all-state selection, Peifer was twice named Player of the Year by both The Tampa Tribune and The St. Petersburg Times.

Peifer and Philipp both competed for the Tampa Bay Juniors club team and led it to a second place finish at the Junior Olympics, where Peifer was named a Junior Olympic All-American.

To see these two now, you would never know that they used to clash for rival teams.

Share and discuss “High school rivals become fast friends with Blue Devils” on social media.