Columnists rename Duke Soccer/Lacrosse Stadium

Cameron Indoor Stadium. Wallace Wade Stadium. Hallowed names for the home of legendary teams. The 1938 Rose Bowl team of Wallace Wade created the mystique. Fred Goldsmith follows in the footsteps.

Eddie Cameron directed Duke athletics program to new heights in its infancy. Mike Krzyzewski took the basketball program well, that's a long story. We'll skip it. Let's move on.

In 1986, Duke University won its first national title in any sport. It wasn't football. It wasn't basketball. It was Men's Soccer. The name of its Stadium. Well, it has two names. In the Fall, it's named Duke Soccer Stadium. In the spring, it's Duke Lacrosse Stadium. Pretty lame, if you ask us. Yes, two teams do play in the stadium. But two teams play in Cameron. Why isn't Cameron called Volleyball/Basketball Stadium. Why isn't Wallace Wade named the Duke Football/Track Stadium. So if the Soccer Stadium wants to become a hallowed place, a place to be respected as it should be, then give it a name.

The name should inspire fear in opponents. It should make its residents comfortable. It should be a nice place to visit. It should be a "Happy" Place. So here you have it. The Chronicle's Top Ten New Names for the Duke Soccer/Lacrosse Stadium.

1. John Rennie Field-The guy won the school's first national title. Come on, that one was easy.

2. Mike Pressler Field-Duke men's lacrosse head coach. We know who Mike Pressler is. He knows who we are. Mike Pressler is bigger than we are-combined. Get the picture.

3. Bill Hempen Field-Duke women's soccer head coach. Bill is a cool guy and he has a dog named Addy-after the team's sponsor Adidas. Furthermore, over the years, Bill has given Chronicle sports staffers some of the funniest, zaniest, most-off the wall quotes.

4. Adidas Field-Money. Money. Money. Duke likes Money, too. Hey, if you can change Candlestick Park to 3Com Park and rename Texas Stadium Nike Stadium., you can do anything. Don't be surprised if Cameron becomes Fila's Tribute to Grant Hill. Hey, even the "Big Sombrero" has been reduced to Houlihan's Stadium.

5. Evan Whit Field-Sophomore Evan Whitfield starts for the Duke men's soccer at defender. He is the guy who led the team in yellow cards. Last year, he had to sit out a game because he got too many of those yellow cards. We think Evan is cool, really cool.

6. The Parthenon-Walk out to a soccer or lacrosse game. You will see more Greeks there than at an off-campus keg party.

7. Abe Wehmiller Field-Abe, Trinity '95 was a sports writer for The Chronicle who wrote a weekly humor column. He wrote the one about pick-up basketball in Card and probably anything else that was really funny that appeared in these pages. We knew who Abe was. We are not Abe. We are not funny.

8. The Field that Tom D'Armi Built-Tom D'Armi is the director of athletic facilities. He has been here for 20 years. We think that he actually did build the field.

9. The Chimichanga-Used in a sentence. Person 1: "Hey where are you going?" Person 2: "I going to the Chimichanga to watch women's soccer versus North Carolina." What does the Mexican food have to do with Soccer and Lacrosse. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. We just like the word.

10. Jonathan Ganz Field-Jon Ganz is the Sports Editor of the Chronicle. Jon forgot about Page 18. It is very early in the morning. Jon made us write something to fill this space. The paper is supposed to be at the press by now. Did we say it's very early in the morning.

Share and discuss “Columnists rename Duke Soccer/Lacrosse Stadium” on social media.