Bad news gets worse for Duke: Mannelly out for year

As if the first three weeks of the season haven't been difficult enough for the football team, it learned Sunday that it will be without the services of senior offensive lineman Patrick Mannelly for the remainder of this season.

Head coach Fred Goldsmith announced during his Monday press conference that Mannelly will be taking a medical redshirt for this season.

Mannelly, who started all 11 games at left guard for the Blue Devils last year, has been hampered by a hip joint infection since before the beginning of the season. The 6-6, 275-lb. Atlanta native has made several attempts to recover from the injury through extensive rest, but the problem persists.

"It seems to be, that with the proper amount of rest, it tends to get better," Goldsmith said. "But two-week stretches have not proven to be enough. Everytime we think it's been enough, he can go for a day or a day and half at the most, and then it comes back."

Mannelly started Saturday's game against Army hoping that his latest rehabilitation stint had been effective. It was not, however, as Mannelly left the game early in the first quarter.

That being Mannelly's second unsuccessful comeback attempt, it has become apparent to the Duke coaches and doctors that a medical redshirt is the best option for both Mannelly and the Blue Devils.

Because Mannelly played as a true freshman and did not take a redshirt his first season, as is common in college football, he should have no problem being granted this medical reprieve.

With the redshirt, Mannelly will get a second chance at his final season as a Blue Devil.

"I can't wait [for next year]," Mannelly said. "It gives me another chance to get bigger, faster, stronger. [Blue Devils strength coach Sonny Falcone] and I have set up an off-season weight program that I am going to work at during the week, since I'm not practicing."

Mannelly has seen extensive action throughout his career at Duke, having played in every game during his first three years. He has served as the team's deep snapper from the get-go and moved to guard late in the 1994 season after initially availing his services as a reserve defensive end. He typically starts at guard, but his versatility has allowed him to play virtually every offensive line position.

His solid play in 1995 earned him a great deal of respect within the Atlantic Coast Conference. This year he was selected preseason first team All-ACC by College Sports Magazine.

With all that experience under his belt, Mannelly's influence is something the Blue Devils can hardly afford to lose. So, instead of forgetting this season, Mannelly said that he is going to do everything he can to help this team out, primarily by working with some of the younger linemen on the technical aspects of their play.

The origin of the infection is still a mystery to the Duke team doctors. Mannelly said that he originally went in to see the doctor because he thought he was suffering from a hip-flexor injury. Upon further examination, the physician discovered that Mannelly had swollen lymph nodes as well, which led to the discovery of the infection.

Because of the somewhat mysterious nature of the ailment, Mannelly and the Blue Devils were unsure what the repercussions of the infection would be. Mannelly was forced to waver throughout the preseason and Duke's first three games between trying to play through the pain or sitting out and resting.

Goldsmith and Duke's physicians both decided that the only way to make sure Mannelly fully recovers is to give him the rest of the season to heal.

One upside to the decision is that Mannelly now no longer has to deal with the indecision.

"I'm kind of happy, because now we've decided what avenue we're going to take," Mannelly said. "It's been a tough first few weeks of the season, not knowing what I'm going to be doing every day. Waking up in the morning, going into the training room and seeing how I was going to feel-that was tough to deal with.

"Now it is a little bit easier, now that all I have to do is try and heal up for next season."

For all the senior defensive lineman in the ACC, this decision must be a relief; for their younger teammates, it is more of a stay of execution.

Share and discuss “Bad news gets worse for Duke: Mannelly out for year” on social media.