Durham captures Olympic spirit in days before games

When the International Olympic Committee chooses a city to host the Olympics, it is also selecting an entire host country. With the 26th Olympic games only 380 miles down I-85 in Atlanta, the city of Durham, and the entire state of North Carolina, has caught hold of the host city's coat tails.

Throughout the past month, while the entire country was been preparing for the games, the Triangle has been one of the centers of attention. On June 19, Durham strutted its Olympic stuff by playing host to both the U.S. Olympic baseball team and the Olympic torch.

Team USA showcased its talents against a team of Japanese collegiate All-Stars in the Durham Bulls Athletic Park. The hard-hitting Americans easily dismantled Japan 9-3 behind the strength of four home runs. Team USA head coach Skip Bertman was quick to point out that this is the most powerful offensive team the United States has ever had.

More than 5,000 fans turned out to cheer on the Olympic squad, who remained unbeaten in their slate of games before the Olympics with the victory. The win extended their winning streak to 35 games.

Earlier in the day, fans turned out all over Durham to catch a glimpse of the Olympic torch as it made its way through the city.

The largest crowd, more than a thousand people, gathered along Chapel Drive and in front of the Duke Chapel. After making its way to the Chapel, the torch was passed to Duke track and field and former Olympic coach Al Buehler. Buehler, whose entire career has been spent at Duke, relished the moment as he held the flame aloft for nearly a minute, amidst loud applause.

"It's such a thrill to be a part of the Olympic Spirit, the Olympic movement," Buehler said. "The term used to be called patriotism. One would say, 'I'm proud to be an American.' I think most of us feel that way."

The 1996 Olympic Torch Relay crossed through 42 states on its 84-day, 15,000-mile journey leading up until the Centennial Olympic Games. The torch made its stop in Durham largely because it is the home of U. S. Olympic Committee president Dr. LeRoy Walker.

"[The torch] is what the Olympics are all about, even beyond the 16 days of glory," Walker said. "It's been wonderful. I've been in the Olympic movement my entire career-Atlanta will be my 10th Olympic Games-but this is the culmination."

Walker and Buehler, who are long-time friends, have worked for years to unite the Durham community through sport. It was also their combined efforts that brought the Gold Rush track meet to Wallace Wade Stadium on July 13 [see related story, p. 18]. The meet was established to give athletes from many countries an opportunity to prepare for the Olympics. The track at Wallace Wade is made of the same material as the one in Atlanta, and organizers tried to simulate Olympic conditions as much as possible, even organizing an opening ceremonies.

Other facilities in the Triangle have provided athletes from various countries a venue in which to practice. The U.S. track and field team was in Chapel Hill training before the Olympics.

Raleigh hosted athletic teams from six different countries, including Germany and Australia. Other pre-Olympic training sites were scattered around the state, including those for Italy and Brazil. Cities such as Greensboro, Winston-Salem and Charlotte played host to these teams for more than a month.

Jonathan Ganz contributed to this article.

Share and discuss “Durham captures Olympic spirit in days before games” on social media.