Quartet of Blue Devils chosen in Major League draft

The baseball team made tremendous strides last season, culminating in a school-best 39-18 final record. The players most responsible for that success have, in return, received a chance to pursue their dreams of playing major league baseball. For the first time in school history, four Blue Devils were selected in the Major League Baseball amateur draft.

Leading the way is left handed pitcher Scott Schoeneweis, Trinity '96, who was selected in the third round by the California Angels. The last time a Duke player was drafted that high was in 1976 when the New York Mets took outfielder Steve Kresses in the first round.

At the time of his selection, Schoeneweis was trying out for the Olympic baseball team in Millington, Tenn. Since signing with the Angels, Schoeneweis has been assigned to the Boise Hawks of the Northwest League, a Short Season Single A-level club.

Schoeneweis' late arrival to the team should not work against him.

"Beginning back in 1988 the Major Leagues really tried to be cooperative to let [college athletes] play in the Olympics-not to penalize them in any way, shape or form," said Jack Carnifix, Director of Communications for the Hawks.

Boise is the normal starting point in the Angles organization for a player of Schoeneweis' caliber. In the past several years, the team's higher draft picks and college draftees have started out with the Hawks.

Schoeneweis has been placed into the starting rotation and is scheduled to be the starting pitcher on Friday night against Yakama. Schoeneweis anchored the Blue Devils' staff last year, compiling a 10-4 record and a 3.23 ERA with 109 strikeouts over 92 innings pitched.

The next Duke player selected was left handed relief pitcher David Darwin, Trinity '96. Darwin was picked by the Detroit Tigers in the 26th round. He signed quickly after being drafted and was assigned to the Fayetteville Generals of the South Atlantic league, a low A-ball affiliate of the Tigers.

Unlike in some other sports, baseball draftees do not traditionally hold out for lengthy periods.

"There's not much negotiating with a college senior-it's all about opportunity," said Jeff Scott, Director of Scouting for the Tigers.

Darwin will pitch out of the bullpen for the Generals just as he did for the Blue Devils, where he finished with a 7-2 record, 10 saves and a team low 2.75 ERA.

Darwin's chances for success are good considering the poor nature of Tiger pitching in Detroit-the Tigers have a 7.02 team ERA, by the far the worst in the majors-and the general advantage given to lefties.

"The round is not indicative of anything," Scott said. "David is a college senior, left-handed pitcher whose going to get a chance to go out and play, and if he performs, he'll keep playing. Basically, that's what it comes down to."

Mike King, Trinity '96, became a part of baseball history when he was selected in the 40th round by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. This was the first year in the draft for the Devil Rays, who begin play in 1998.

The length of the major league draft is not predetermined, so after King was not selected during the first two days, he concluded that his playing days were over.

"The first two days I waited and didn't get a call," King said. "When it reached the third day, I didn't realize there was a third day to the draft. By then I was just like, forget it, but when I got home, there was a message on the answering from Paul Faulk of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. I was definitely surprised. I thought that I wasn't going to get drafted, and I thought my baseball career was over. So I was quite ecstatic to say the least."

King has since signed and been sent to the Butte Copper Kings, an advanced Rookie League affiliate of the Devil Rays that plays in the Pioneer League in Montana. King, who played both centerfield and first base for Duke, has switched to his favorite position, second base, for the Copper Kings.

After a career that saw him finish among Duke's all-time leaders in most offensive categories, and a senior year that produced a .343 batting average, 10 homers and 60 RBIs, being drafted is the fulfillment of a dream for King.

The fact that he is indeed playing for an expansion team undoubtedly improves his chances for advancement, but he is thrilled just to have received the opportunity.

"I definitely [feel like I have a better chance of advancing]," King said. "Because of the fact that this is an expansion team, and they have to run things a little differently, your future looks a little brighter, hopefully.

"I'm pretty much just having fun. If I move up, that's great, but I just want to play for a little bit. Of course my ultimate dream is to play in the bigs, but ... you never know."

King took the field for Copper Kings last night in what marked the first official day of play for the Devil Rays organization.

Right handed pitcher Richard Dishman was the last Blue Devil selected. The San Francisco Giants picked the underclassman in the 42nd round. Academically, Dishman is a rising senior, but he redshirted his freshman year, so he still has two years of eligibility remaining. As of now, Dishman remains unsigned.

Dishman has been working out at Duke over the summer with Duke baseball head coach Steve Traylor. In addition, he has been taking summer classes to ensure that he can graduate next spring.

Dishman has been in contact with the Giants, and they are going to watch how he pitches in summer leagues. However, barring a major change in what San Francisco is offering him, Dishman expects to suit up for the Blue Devils next season.

"I don't think I'm going to sign," Dishman said. "I'd like to stay in school for a couple of years. I'm just enjoying myself too much right now. It's Duke, Coach Traylor and the team-all three of those things are major reasons why I'm thinking about staying.

"The team should be really good next year, and I'm looking forward to returning and finishing in the top half of the ACC standings."

Jonathan Ganz contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “Quartet of Blue Devils chosen in Major League draft” on social media.