McCracken cracks into major leagues with Rockies

PHILADELPHIA-Quinton McCracken graduated from Duke in 1992 and set out in pursuit of a life-long dream to play baseball at the highest level. Today, that dream is a reality, as McCracken is serving as a reserve outfielder for the Colorado Rockies.

After a brief call-up late last season, McCracken made the Rockies roster out of spring training this year. The switch-hitting rookie has been used mostly as a pinch-hitter, a pinch-runner or a late inning defensive replacement. He has been penciled into the starting lineup six times this season-five times in center field and once in left field-including starting in Wednesday's 9-5 loss to New York..

In last Sunday's 7-4 victory over Philadelphia, McCracken entered the game in the top of the ninth inning as a pinch-runner and promptly stole second base. He stayed in the game to play center field and made the final put out of the game on a routine fly ball.

McCracken would, of course, like to be playing more often, but he is thrilled with the opportunity he is receiving.

"It's still early yet, but just getting the opportunity to play in most of the games, though most of the time it is just pinch-hitting or in a defensive replacement role, just being here, it is a dream come true," McCracken said.

Despite his .200 batting average, McCracken has been effective at the plate recently. He had his first multi-hit game of his major-league career on June 19th against Montreal. His role may be limited, but he understands what it will take to reach the next level.

"I just want to try and improve each day, put the ball in play and do my job," McCracken said. "I need to do what they ask of me-especially now where everything deals with situational hitting. I've been mostly pinch-hitting for the pitcher, and most of those times there's maybe a runner that needs to be moved over. So, I'll be bunting or hitting the ball to the right side of the infield."

McCracken realizes that patience is his most valuable virtue right now, especially because he is playing behind outfielders Dante Bichette [last year's National League home run leader], Ellis Burks and Larry Walker-all of whom are among the league's best.

"Being a younger player, I'm in the position where they just kind of gradually work you in," McCracken said. "I'm in that initial stage where I have three All-Star caliber outfielders in front of me. So, I'm just going to have to wait my turn and be ready whenever my number is called."

Misfortune almost led to opportunity for McCracken earlier this month when Walker went down for two months with a fractured collarbone.

"With the Walker situation, everyone speculated about possibly getting some more playing time," McCracken said. "But as things have turned out, John Vander Wal, our other outfielder/first baseman, has been swinging a really hot bat, so he's moved in there."

Despite not moving into the everyday starting lineup, McCracken's fortunes remain optimistic. Since being drafted in the 25th round of the 1992 amateur draft, he has steadily become one of the most promising prospects in the Rockies organization. In 1993, he was the leading base stealer on any Rockies team and was given the Rockies' Minor League Player of the Year award.

In 1995, he was promoted from Double-A New Haven in mid-season to Triple-A Colorado Springs, where he batted a blistering .361 and helped lead the Sky Sox to the Pacific Coast League title. Immediately following the team's post-season triumph, McCracken received the chance he had been waiting for his entire life.

"We had just won the Triple-A championship in the fifth game of the series," McCracken said. "Afterwards, everyone was in the clubhouse celebrating and the manager called myself and [two other players] off to the side and congratulated us and told us we had been called up to the big leagues. That next morning we woke up early and drove up to Denver from Colorado Springs. It was an incredible 24 hours."

McCracken remained on the big league roster for the next two weeks, but saw limited playing time as the Rockies battled for the National League Wild Card playoff berth. He made it to the plate only once in September, striking out in his only at-bat.

"When I got called up, we were vying for a playoff spot," McCracken said. "As a result, I didn't see much playing time, but just being there was quite an experience. Just to be in that atmosphere of chasing the playoffs was great."

McCracken's performance was limited, but his attitude and stellar minor-league season drew an invitation to spring training this year, where he earned his spot on the roster.

"I was happy they gave me a real opportunity to make the team out of spring training by giving me some real playing time," McCracken said. "I was able to show them the things they wanted to see from me, so that's why I ended up on the roster."

All of this success should not come as a surprise to anyone who followed McCracken's career at Duke, where he not only anchored the baseball team, but took the field for the Blue Devils' football team as well. McCracken started at cornerback for the better part of four years, including the 1989 ACC Champion squad.

In the spring, McCracken was always excused from football practice to play second base for the baseball team. He is still Duke's all-time leader in stolen bases and runs scored, and ranks second with a .349 career batting average. He twice earned All-ACC honors and was selected third team All-America his senior year.

Only four years after McCracken left Duke with a double-major in political science and history, he has made his way to the top. A childhood dream fulfilled, McCracken now spends his long summer days playing the game he loves.

Share and discuss “McCracken cracks into major leagues with Rockies” on social media.