D'Souza focuses on culture, not race

After reading Gloria Ntegeye's column on Dinesh D'Souza's speech, we were appalled at her unfounded criticism of his theories. Contrary to what Ntegeye may think, D'Souza is anything but "ignorant." Rather, he supports his thesis eloquently, not only by sound argument, but by documented fact. For example, D'Souza cites that children from black families that make $60,000 a year score lower on the SATs than children from white and Asian families who make $20,000 a year. This statistic is sobering, but facts don't lie.

Ntegeye repeatedly criticizes D'Souza for historical inaccuracy, yet she herself provides no evidence that contradicts his points. It's easier for her to just dismiss his statements with stock phrases such as, "It would take too long to go into the historical inaccuraciesÉ" or "I won't even bother to get on him for his incorrect understanding ofÉ" Please, Gloria, do bother. It is irresponsible journalism to say that something is incorrect without stating why.

In addition, we find it hard to fathom that any objective listener could call D'Souza a "racist." He clearly stated that he doesn't believe any race to be superior to another, rather, some cultures are superior to others. He cited the success of Nigerian and West Indian immigrants, so his problem is not with the black race, but with the culture that has become predominate among African Americans.

Yet another misunderstanding by Ntegeye is the ridiculous claim the D'Souza believes that racism is dead. He explicitly stated throughout the evening that racism still does exist, but can no longer be blamed for every problem we face. Instead, those who are falling behind need to focus their energies on catching up, regardless of whose fault it is that they are behind in the first place.

The statistics are too overwhelming for people like Ntegeye to continue to shut their ears. Once the problem of inequality of performance is acknowledged, it becomes clear that Ntegeye should welcome D'Souza's thesis with open arms. His message is one of optimism, because if people can take responsibility for their problems, they take the first step toward solving them.

Parker Stanberry

Trinity '99

Phil Wilhelm

Trinity '99

Share and discuss “D'Souza focuses on culture, not race” on social media.